Health and Dental Plan


Can I add my family members to the Student Health and Dental Plan after the opt-in deadline passes?

Unfortunately, late opt-ins are not permitted. Each year, you are given one opportunity to purchase family coverage for your spouse and/or dependent(s) by completing an application form at the Student Benefits Plan Office and paying the family coverage fee. All family add-on forms, and applicable fees must be received by the applicable deadline for the semester period of enrolment.

Family coverage does not carry over from previous years and must be completed every year. Visit the MyStudentPlan Coverage website for important information on family opt-ins.

How can I make a claim through the Student Health and Dental Plan?

Visit the MyStudentPlain Registration and Claims website for information on making claims.

CUPE 3913 offers extended coverage for teaching assistants and sessional lecturers after basic GroupNet coverage has been exhausted.

How can I register for GroupNet and generate my benefits card?

Please visit the MyStudentPlan Registration and Claims website for more information on GroupNet registration and the benefits card.

What are the important deadlines for enrolling into the Student Health and Dental plan?

It is a student's responsibility to know the opt-in and opt-out deadlines each year. Please visit MyStudentPlan and select University of Guelph CSA and GSA for important dates.

What coverage do I have under the Student Health and Dental Plan?

Find the most up to date details on health and dental coverage on the MyStudentPlan Coverage website.

Where can I confirm my enrollment in the Student Health and Dental Plan?

All inquiries regarding coverage and registration status must be directed to the Student Benefits Office.

Student Benefits Plan Office
UC Level 1, Room 108A
Phone: 519-824-4120, ext. 54798

Where can I find information on the Student Health and Dental Plan?

Information regarding the Student Health and Dental plan can be found on the MyStudentPlan Guelph website.

Who is covered under the Student Health and Dental Plan?

All full-time graduate students are covered under the plan. Part-time graduate students are not covered under the plan. If a student switches from full-time to part-time status, they will lose their coverage as of September 1.

Why can I opt-out of the dental plan but not the health plan?

The Health Plan at the University of Guelph has always been mandatory for students.

The Dental Plan was voted in later than the Health Plan, with different terms that included an opt out with proof of alternate coverage.

A joint referendum was held by the CSA and GSA in Winter 2021 asking students if they would like to add an opt-out option to the Health Plan with a fee increase. The joint referendum failed to meet quorum and therefore the current universal plan remains in place. The results are binding, and the health plan remains mandatory for all full-time graduate students.