Undeclared First Year
Choosing your courses
Students admitted to the Undeclared First Year can view the Fall and Winter list of suggested courses via the Undeclared Schedule of Studies.
If you are already interested in a specific major and would like to investigate it further, you can view the semester one and two course requirements. As an Undeclared First Year student, we encourage you choose the introductory course that relates to your potential major of interest. They are listed below;
- Accounting -- ACCT*1220 (fall) and ACCT*1240 (offered winter only)
- Food and Agricultural Business -- FARE*1400 (offered winter only)
- Hospitality and Tourism Management – HTM*1700 or HTM*1070 (offered fall only) and HTM*1160 (offered winter only)
- Management -- MGMT*1200 (offered winter only)
- Management Economics and Finance -- choose one of MATH*1030 or MATH*1200 (for details, visit Information for First-Year B.Comm Students)
- Marketing Management -- PSYC*1000 (offered both fall and winter). See important note about PSYC*1000 below.
- Public Management -- POLS*1400 (offered fall only)
- Real Estate and Housing -- REAL*1820 (offered fall only)
The deadline to select your B.Comm major will be April 2020. If you decide on your major before this date, you are welcome to contact the B.Comm Program Counselling Office and declare your major.
NOTE: PSYC*1000 is a very popular course. To manage enrollment, the Department of Psychology may restrict access to this course. These restrictions may be lifted during the Course Selection period, so we recommend that you regularly check WebAdvisor. Alternatively, this course can be taken in the Winter semester.
Resources to help you choose your B.Comm major
- MGMT 1000 Intro to Business--you will take this course during the Fall semester. Provides you with an understanding of the evolution of forms of business organization and their role in social and economic development.
- The Undergraduate Calendar will provide you with details on all of the courses required for each of our majors.
- Faculty Advisors are experts in their major who can assist you with questions concerning their program and beyond: graduate school, career opportunities etc.
- Student Groups and Clubs—connect with peers who are currently completing a B.Comm major.
- What can I do with my Degree—up to date information on what you can do with a B.Comm degree for each of our majors as well as a list of companies where our graduates have found careers.
Interested in Co-op?
As the Undeclared First year does not have a co-op option, you will need to apply as an In-Course Student. The application deadline is determined by your major; Accounting - mid-November 2020; all other majors - mid-March 2020. Our office will send you a detailed reminder email prior to these deadlines.
Your application will be reviewed by Co-operative Education & Career Services once your final grades from the Fall semester (Accounting) and Winter (all other majors) are available. You must have at least a 70% cumulative University of Guelph average as a full-time student to be considered for co-op. Meeting the minimum GPA requirement does not guarantee your admittance to co-op. Depending on demand, some co-op programs have limited capacity, so the average required will be greater than 70%. This average varies significantly from year to year, so unfortunately Co-operative Education & Career Services cannot predict the actual required admission average for entry this coming year.