For VPR business, here. For lab business, here.
- MA (Oxon) University of Oxford 1996
- PhD University of Guelph 1991
- BSc University of Guelph 1986
As they are literally rooted in place, plants possess remarkable mechanisms that perceive, interpret, and respond to internal and external cues so as to optimise plant growth & development relative to prevailing environment conditions. Despite the incredible diversity in plant forms, the molecular mechanisms that control plant responses to internal and external cues are highly conserved across diverse genera. The timing and localisation of these mechanisms shape plant & development. Our research team aims to gain greater insights into molecular mechanisms that plants employ to convert internal cues and external signals into appropriate adjustments in resource acquisition and allocation, focusing on the role of gene regulation in conditioning these adjustments. Toward this end, we test hypotheses related to the roles of small-molecule signaling, transcription factor function, epigenome modification, transcriptome remodeling, and transcriptional networks in conditioning plant responses to internal and external cues. We test hypotheses using comparative functional genomics / epigenomics approaches, bridging basic plant biology conducted with the model species A. thaliana to the economically and ecologically important genus Populus. Our research builds on experience in dissection of plant perception of sugars and water, reconfiguration of gene expression, and modification of plant function.
Selected Publications (last 5 years)
- Leaf size serves as a proxy for xylem vulnerability to cavitation in plantation trees. Schreiber SG, Hacke UG, Chamberland S, Lowe CW, Kamelchuk D, Bräutigam K, Campbell MM, Thomas BR. Plant Cell Environ. 2015 Jul 15. doi: 10.1111/pce.12611. [Epub ahead of print]
- Poplar trees reconfigure the transcriptome and metabolome in response to drought in a genotype- and time-of-day-dependent manner. Hamanishi ET, Barchet GL, Dauwe R, Mansfield SD, Campbell MM. BMC Genomics. 2015 Apr 21;16:329. doi: 10.1186/s12864-015-1535-z.
- Comprehensive multiphase NMR: a promising technology to study plants in their native state. Wheeler HL, Soong R, Courtier-Murias D, Botana A, Fortier-Mcgill B, Maas WE, Fey M, Hutchins H, Krishnamurthy S, Kumar R, Monette M, Stronks HJ, Campbell MM, Simpson A. Magn Reson Chem. 2015 Apr 9. doi: 10.1002/mrc.4230. [Epub ahead of print]
- Investigating the drought-stress response of hybrid poplar genotypes by metabolite profiling. Barchet GL, Dauwe R, Guy RD, Schroeder WR, Soolanayakanahally RY, Campbell MM, Mansfield SD. Tree Physiol. 2014 Nov;34(11):1203-19. doi: 10.1093/treephys/tpt080. Epub 2013 Oct 31.
- Investigating the drought-stress response of hybrid poplar genotypes by metabolite profiling. Barchet GL, Dauwe R, Guy RD, Schroeder WR, Soolanayakanahally RY, Campbell MM, Mansfield SD.Tree Physiol. 2013 Oct
- Interactions between the R2R3-MYB transcription factor, AtMYB61, and target DNA binding sites. Prouse MB, Campbell MM.PLoS ONE 2013;8(5):e65132
- Interplay between sucrose and folate modulates auxin signaling in Arabidopsis. Stokes ME, Chattopadhyay A, Wilkins O, Nambara E, Campbell MM.Plant Physiol. 2013 Jul;162(3):1552-65
- Epigenetic regulation of adaptive responses of forest tree species to the environment. Bräutigam K, Vining KJ, Lafon-Placette C, Fossdal CG, Mirouze M, Marcos JG, Fluch S, Fraga MF, Guevara MÁ, Abarca D, Johnsen O, Maury S, Strauss SH, Campbell MM, Rohde A, Díaz-Sala C, Cervera MT.Ecol Evol 2013 Feb;3(2):399-415
- Constitutive expression of a fungal glucuronoyl esterase in Arabidopsis reveals altered cell wall composition and structure. Tsai AY, Canam T, Gorzsás A, Mellerowicz EJ, Campbell MM, Master ER.Plant Biotechnol. J. 2012 Dec;10(9):1077-87
- Drought induces alterations in the stomatal development program in Populus. Hamanishi ET, Thomas BR, Campbell MM.J. Exp. Bot. 2012 Aug;63(13):4959-71
- AtMYB61, an R2R3-MYB transcription factor, functions as a pleiotropic regulator via a small gene network. Romano JM, Dubos C, Prouse MB, Wilkins O, Hong H, Poole M, Kang KY, Li E, Douglas CJ, Western TL, Mansfield SD, Campbell MM.New Phytol. 2012 Sep;195(4):774-86
- The interaction between MYB proteins and their target DNA binding sites. Prouse MB, Campbell MM.Biochim. Biophys. Acta 2012 Jan;1819(1):67-77
- Clone history shapes Populus drought responses. Raj S, Bräutigam K, Hamanishi ET, Wilkins O, Thomas BR, Schroeder W, Mansfield SD, Plant AL, Campbell MM.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2011 Jul;108(30):12521-6
- PlaNet: combined sequence and expression comparisons across plant networks derived from seven species. Mutwil M, Klie S, Tohge T, Giorgi FM, Wilkins O, Campbell MM, Fernie AR, Usadel B, Nikoloski Z, Persson S.Plant Cell 2011 Mar;23(3):895-910
- Transcriptomic responses of the softwood-degrading white-rot fungus Phanerochaete carnosa during growth on coniferous and deciduous wood. MacDonald J, Doering M, Canam T, Gong Y, Guttman DS, Campbell MM, Master ER.Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2011 May;77(10):3211-8
- Endogenous overexpression of Populus MYB186 increases trichome density, improves insect pest resistance, and impacts plant growth. Plett JM, Wilkins O, Campbell MM, Ralph SG, Regan S.Plant J. 2010 Nov;64(3):419-32
- Genome-wide analysis of plant metal transporters, with an emphasis on poplar. Migeon A, Blaudez D, Wilkins O, Montanini B, Campbell MM, Richaud P, Thomine S, Chalot M.Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 2010 Nov;67(22):3763-84
- Time of day shapes Arabidopsis drought transcriptomes. Wilkins O, Bräutigam K, Campbell MM.Plant J. 2010 Sep;63(5):715-27
- Intraspecific variation in the Populus balsamifera drought transcriptome. Hamanishi ET, Raj S, Wilkins O, Thomas BR, Mansfield SD, Plant AL, Campbell MM.Plant Cell Environ. 2010 Oct;33(10):1742-55