Can I add a specialization or change my specialization?

During your studies you may wish to add or change a specialization. For example, you may chose a specialization and decide after taking some courses that you would rather explore a different field of study. Or you may take an elective in a specific discipline and decide you would like to take other courses in that area.

While it is much easier to add or change a specialization at the beginning of your degree program most degree programs do allow you to add or change a specialization at almost any point. When reviewing choices you should also be aware that some specializations do not allow entry before or beyond a specific semester level and some specializations may require a minimum average or the completion of specific courses to be considered for entry. Also keep in mind that it may be more difficult to add or change to very different programs if you change late because you may have to make up required courses.

Normally to change a Major you would have completed the Undergraduate Schedule of Studies Change Request Form. In many cases you can also change a Major within the same degree program (or add a Minor) by emailing your Program Counsellor from your Guelph-issued email account. Please do note that some degree programs have limited enrolment specializations (Majors, Minors) that require a formal application to declare. In those cases there is information in the Program Information section of the Major or Minor in the Undergraduate Calendar. More information may be obtained from the Faculty Advisor for a limited enrolment specialization or your Program Counsellor.