Explore how writing across genres and media, helps us to understand each other and the world in which we live.
Hone your skills in thinking analytically about literature, media and film. Writing clearly and effectively is a skill that opens opportunities across different sectors. Range of historical periods and study the use of English around the world.
- Study with some of Canada’s most acclaimed writers (ex. Dionne Brand and Lawrence Hill) and award-winning professors.
- Take action through your writing. Our students are proactive and engaged citizens with projects such as examining your relationship with oil, communal responsibility to fund hospital equipment.
- Enjoy small seminars in your first year, beginning with Reading the Past with only 30 students.
- Be a regular writer for the Ontarion – an independent news outlet for the University community, or start your own show on CFRU 93.3 FM, the campus radio station.
- Join The English Students Society (TESS), for social events…
- Effective Writing
- Literatures in English I: Reading the Past
- Major Writers
- Fairy, Trickster, and Mythical Hero
- Literature and Community-Engaged Learning
- Elements of Creative Writing
Careers and Pathways
- Advertising copywriter
- Social Media Manager
- English teacher
- Media relations
- Technical writer
- Graduate programs in English, Journalism, Education, Publishing, Public Relations, and Marketing
Guelph is home to the Eden Mills Writer Festival, the Gryphon Reads program, and the beloved Bookshelf – equipped with an indie movie theatre and bookshop, hosting regular events.