Shanghai semester abroad
Spend the semester in Shanghai!
The Shanghai Semester is run in conjunction with East China Normal University (ECNU) one of the leading universities in China. The curriculum, which will be taught by ECNU faculty, is made up of courses that are recognized for credit at the University of Guelph and carry a UG course code.
The curriculum will allow students to acquire, or improve their, Mandarin Chinese and at the same time study business, and/or contemporary and historical issues concerning China.
At internationally renowned ECNU located in central Shanghai, students from the University of Guelph will have access to courses in such topics as art, business, culture, history, language, politics, and trade. Besides living and studying at one of China's foremost universities, Guelph students will have opportunities to visit historic cultural and beautiful centres such as Hangzhou and Suzhou. University of Guelph students will find themselves in a very Chinese atmosphere and at the same time in a very international atmosphere: many students from around the world study for a semester at ECNU. UG students will have access to all university facilities available for regular students.
Shanghai Semester Courses
Students will participate in ECNU's exciting Global Curriculum Program, taught by ECNU faculty:
There is a required language component. For example: Chinese Language and Culture [1.00]: This language course provides the application of basic grammatical structures in relation to conversational Mandarin Chinese. The course may include the comprehension of elementary reading texts. The course focuses on Chinese, as a language, and its relation to understanding the culture of China. This course is offered as part of the Shanghai Semester.
Instructor: A member of faculty from ECNU's Chinese Language Institute.
PLEASE NOTE: ONE Chinese language course required of all students, level will be determine by a placement test at ECNU.
Students will choose three additional elective courses, with a UNIV designation from the University of Guelph.
UNIV 3220 (0.5) University Studies in Shanghai I (Humanities elective)
UNIV 3230 (0.5) University Studies in Shanghai II (Social Science elective)
ECNU courses that Guelph students can enroll in as part of the semester are:
- International Marketing (China Focus)
- China's Macroeconomic Impact
- Globalization & Urbanization: China's Urban Transformation and What It Means for the World
- Introduction to Chinese Government, Politics and Policy
- Contemporary Chinese Cinema
- Chinese Civilization: An Introduction
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Issues in Contemporary Chinese Society
Costs for the Shanghai Semester
- Estimated costs, based on 2016 experience:
- Tuition: covered by normal University of Guelph tuition fees for Fall Semester 2016
- Textbooks: approximately $200
- Airfare: (Toronto – Shanghai) approximately $1,600
- Accommodation: approximately $1,500 a for double room or $3000 for a single room for 14 weeks.
- There are additional costs for a single room, meals and cultural excursions.
Accommodations on the Shanghai Semester
- Accommodations for the Shanghai semester are arranged through ECNU. Students live in double room in a modern, clean facility with internet access and a washroom.
- Single rooms are also available for an additional charge.
Group Field Trips
Group field trips are coordinated by ECNU throughout Shanghai and surrounding areas at an additional cost to students.
Apply to the Shanghai Semester
Applications for the Fall 2017 semester will be due 27 January 2017. Late applications will not be accepted.
To apply for the Shanghai Semester, you must first attend a Study Abroad Information Session with the Centre for International Programs. Once you have attend a Study Abroad Information session , you will be given access the the online Semester Abroad application.
For mor information: email Prof. Norman Smith firstname.lastname@example.org