Incoming Exchange Students


As an incoming exchange student, what fees do I have to pay to the University of Guelph?

The major fees you pay to the University of Guelph for your exchange are fees for your residence, meal plans and student fees (that is, your health insurance and bus pass).

Can I study abroad at the University of Guelph even if my home university doesn’t have an exchange agreement with University of Guelph?

If you would like to come to the University of Guelph but your home university does not have an exchange agreement with us, you can apply to study on our campus as a visiting student through what we call a Letter of Permission (LOP).  A Letter of Permission gives a student permission from their home university to take credits at the University of Guelph and transfer these credits toward their degree program.

For more information on an LOP as an Undergraduate or Graduate Student to Guelph, see our Undergraduate Admissions and the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies LOP website.

Do I have to buy health insurance at University of Guelph?

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) and the Student Health Plan are mandatory for exchange students at the University of Guelph.  Find out more information about these here.

Does University of Guelph offer services for students with disabilities?

Student Accessibility Services facilitates a variety of programs and services to assist students with both temporary and permanent disabilities to participate fully in university life and maximize campus accessibility.  Any exchange students who may require special services should register with the Centre for Students with Disabilities (preferably before arriving at the University of Guelph).  

How can I apply for exchange at the University of Guelph?

To apply to Guelph for exchange, you must first be nominated by your home university. Please visit the International/Exchange Office of your home university to find out more information about their exchange application procedures.  If you are chosen by your home university to come on exchange to the University of Guelph, they will then let you know how to access our incoming exchange student application.

How can I find housing off-campus?

If you have chosen to live off-campus, it is suggested that you begin searching for housing well in advance before arriving in Canada and arrive at least two weeks before the beginning of classes or more, so that you have enough time to search and secure a place to live before classes start.  

Most off-campus housing in Guelph is rented on 8- or 12-month lease contracts that start either May 1st or September 1st. The lease is an agreement between the tenant and landlord outlining the rights and responsibilities of each party for the term of the lease.  

You can view listings in Guelph at For more resources and questions concerning living off-campus and landlord-tenant issues visit the Off-Campus Living website.

How can I get copies of my transcript after my exchange?

The Centre for International Programs provides official grade reports for all students attending Guelph on exchange. Official grade reports for exchange students who have studied at the University of Guelph will be sent directly to the exchange office at their home institution following the completion of their final semester at Guelph. Grade Reports for students who attended Guelph for the Fall semester will be sent in January. For the Winter semester, transcripts will be sent in May.

If you need your own copy of your official transcript or need it to be sent to another university for a graduate school application, you must order the transcript directly from Enrolment Services.

How can I meet people and get involved in activities at University of Guelph?

There are a variety of clubs and activities specifically for exchange and international students, along with many clubs and sports catering to a wide range of interests.  Find out more about all the possibilities here.

How do I apply to live in residence?

Find out how to apply for residence here.

How many credits / courses do I have to take at University of Guelph each semester?

Find out how University of Guelph's credit system works here.

Is there a special orientation for new exchange students?

START International, the orientation program for new international and exchange students, is held in late August (the week before classes begin) for the Fall semester, and on the day before classes begin in January for the Winter semester.  (You will be informed of the exact dates in your acceptance e-mail.)  We highly recommend that you attend the orientation as the sessions will cover useful topics such as cultural adjustment, the Canadian university academic system, dressing for the cold weather, health insurance and the various support services that are available to help students make a successful transition. It is also a good opportunity to meet the other exchange and international students through some fun social activities we have organized.  

When will I get my acceptance letter from the University of Guelph?

Exchange acceptance letters will be mailed to your home university in mid-May for students who have applied for a fall semester or full-year exchange, and in mid-November for students who have applied for a winter semester exchange.  At this time, you will also receive an acceptance e-mail with a scanned copy of your acceptance letter and other important information such as how to apply for residence, the orientation program and fees.

Where can I find out what programs and courses are offered at the University of Guelph?


Find out about our programs and courses in the Undergraduate or Graduate Calendar. 


Where can I get medical help if I need it?

Students can see a doctor, personal counsellor and other health professionals on-campus.  Find out how to access these services here.