Living Off-Campus

Please note: We highly recommend that exchange students live in one of our university residences because it is easier to make friends and you are closer to your classes and campus services. 

Please also be aware that some landlords in Guelph require that students sign an eight or twelve-month lease.  However, by August, landlords who have not rented their rooms yet may be more willing to let exchange students who are only coming for one semester sign a 4-month lease.  Most off-campus houses and apartments are also unfurnished, so you may need to buy your own furniture (bed, dresser, desk, etc.)  Our Off-Campus Living Office runs a helpful program called Move-Out-Madness which collects used furniture from students who are leaving and stores this over the summer, and there is a day during our August Orientation program when new students can choose from these items and have them delivered for free. (This program is only available for exchange students coming for the Fall semester).  There are also several thrift stores in Guelph that sell used furniture.

Finding Off-Campus Housing

If you decide to look for a room or apartment off-campus, the Off-Campus Living website is one of the best resources to help you find a place to live.  The website lists available off-campus accommodations, and also gives important information about the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords.       

Another means of finding off-campus housing is through the Central Students Association website called “The Cannon” (click on ‘Classifieds’ and then ‘Housing’). This is where students who need a place to live can post an ad, and they can look at ads posted by other students who are looking for a roommate(s) or have empty rooms available where they live.

People also use the website Kijiji to list apartments and rooms for rent.  Choose Guelph for My Location and then search under Real Estate.


Be aware of the growing number of money and identity theft SCAMS aimed at foreign renters  - it is not advisable to send money (for a deposit) via Western Union (or other untraceable wiring companies) to someone you don’t know, and don’t give your personal details such as your credit card information, passport copy, etc.