An Opportunity to Extend your Learning Beyond the Classroom
As a co-op student, you’ll gain relevant work experience, build professional networks and develop the essential interpersonal skills needed to succeed in the workplace, all while getting paid and earning your university degree. We offer a co-op option with both of our majors. You can apply to enter your program with co-op or apply to it in your first year.
Guelph’s co-op program is unique due to the exceptional level of support provided, including an in-class preparatory course, access to senior student mentors, and a personal connection with a co-op coordinator to assist you during the employment process.
University of Guelph Advantage
- Students complete 2 years of their degree before their first co-op term
- All co-op positions are full time paid employment opportunities
- COOP*1100 Introduction to Co-op, a mandatory semester-long course designed to prepare you for the job search
- At Guelph, computing students have the unique opportunity to study an "Area of Application." These elective courses, drawn from another academic discipline, allow for both specialization and diversity. As such, a student can combine their degree with a variety of disciplines (business, math, physics, music, psychology, etc.).
- Our co-op process responds to your needs. Employers can post, hire and interview throughout the semester and our students are available for 4 or 8 month work terms.
- The strong focus on collaborative, team-based design coursework (agile methodology), results in students who are able to integrate well in a conventional workplace
Skills and Knowledge Acquired
- Programming skills in Java, C, SQL, Python and more
- Explore where your degree might take you after graduation
- Strong technical knowledge of data structures, object-oriented programming and database management
- Excellent knowledge of computer organization, operating systems and high level software engineering
- Ability to communicate, prioritize and multi-task efficiently
- Network with professionals in your field
Previous Co-op Positions
- Software Development Engineer – Amazon
- Software Test Specialist - Magnet Forensics
- Web Developer – Sandbox Solutions
- Software Engineering Intern – Square
- Software Developer – IBM
- Unity Game Developer – Adknown
- Software Development Engineer – Microsoft
- Crypto Material Systems Analyst – Government of Canada
Who to Contact
For more information on the University of Guelph's Co-operative Education, visit the Recruit Guelph Website or email Recruit Guelph. For help finding a job, posting a job, or work-related questions, please contact the Bachelor of Computing Co-op Coordinators, Laura Gatto or Kate McRoberts.