Dr. Manju Misra is a professor in the School of Engineering and holds a joint appointment in the Department of Plant Agriculture at the University of Guelph. She holds the Tier 1 Canada Research Chair (CRC) in Sustainable Biocomposites from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), and the Research Program Director of the Bioeconomy Panel for the Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance a program between the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) and the University of Guelph. She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (UK), the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), and the Society of Plastic Engineers (SPE).
Dr. Misra’s current research focuses primarily on novel bio-based composites and nanocomposites from agricultural, forestry, and recycled resources for the sustainable bio-economy moving towards a Circular Economy. She has authored more than 800 publications, including 404 peer-reviewed journal papers, 21 book chapters, and 53 patents. Link to Dr. Misra's Google Scholar.
She was an editor of the CRC Press volume, “Natural Fibers, Biopolymers and Biocomposites,” Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, FL (2005); American Scientific Publishers volume “Packaging Nanotechnology”, Valencia, California (2009); “Polymer Nanocomposites”, Springer (2014) and “Fiber Technology for Fiber-Reinforced Composites”, Woodhead Publishing (2017). She was the chief editor of “Biocomposites: Design and Mechanical Performance” Woodhead Publishing (2015). She was the President of the BioEnvironmental Polymer Society (BEPS) in 2009. She serves on the editorial boards of “Journal of Applied Polymer Science”, “Composites Part A: Science and Manufacturing”, “Polymer Testing”, “Macromolecular Materials and Engineering”, "ACS Omega", and “Composites Part C: Open Access”.
Awards, Honours, and Distinctions
- 2021 Fellow, Society of Plastic Engineers (SPE), USA
- 2021 Lifetime Achievement Award, BioEnvironmental Polymer Society (BEPS), USA
- 2020 Canada’s Most Powerful Women: Top 100 Award Winner in the Manulife Science and Technology, Women's Executive Network (WXN), Canada
- 2020 Featured Author, Publication chosen for the ACS OMEGA publication in the Open Access Virtual Issue “Celebrating 5 Years of Open Access with ACS Omega”
- 2020 Tier 1 Canada Research Chair – Sustainable Biocomposites, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council, Canada
- 2020 CEPS Undergraduate Supervision Award, University of Guelph, Canada
- 2020 Fellow, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), USA
- 2020 Featured Female Author, Publication chosen for the ACS OMEGA publication in the Open Access Virtual Issue “Women at the Forefront of Chemistry”
- 2019 Featured Author – Open Access Week (Oct 21-27), Featuring authors who frequently publish in ACS OMEGA.
- 2019 Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK
- 2019 Woman of Distinction on Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM): Guelph YMCA-YWCA Women of Distinction, Canada
- 2018 NSERC Synergy Award for Innovation, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council, Canada
- This award honours the most outstanding achievements of the collaboration between academia and industry in the natural sciences and engineering.
- 2017 Andrew Chase Forest Products Division Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), USA
- 2017 Featured Canadian Author, Two publications chosen for ACS Publications Open Access Virtual Issue “Hot Materials in a Cool Country” featuring articles authored by Canadians to celebrate the 100th meeting of the Canadian Chemistry Conference
- 2016 Innovation of the Year Award, University of Guelph, Canada
- This award is for the creation of the 100% Compostable Bio-composite Resin using coffee chaff (waste stream of coffee roasting industry) for single-serve coffee pods. More awards for this innovation found here: http://purpod100.com/awards/
- 2014 Composites Part A Most Highly Cited Paper Award, "Characterization of natural fiber surfaces and natural fiber composites", selected for the award which highlights that the paper has truly generated interest and awareness within the composites community
- 2012 Jim Hammar Memorial Service Award, BioEnvironmental Polymer Society (BEPS), USA
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Bio-Based New Materials
- Green Nanotechnology
- Polymer Nanotechnology
- Nanostructured Materials & Devices
- Nano Particles & Applications
- Pyrolysis of Biomass and Characterization of Biocarbon for Composite Applications
- Surface treatment of micro and nanofibers and fiber-matrix adhesion
- Nanobiocomposites from carbon nanotubes, alumina nanowhisker, silver nanoparticles, and cellulose nanofibers
- Electrospinning processing
- 3D Printing of Biobased Materials
- Nanobio materials & tissue engineering
- Bio-based polymers (Polylactides-PLA, Polyhydroxyalkanoates-PHAs, Cellulose plastics, Soy protein plastics, Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles-DDGS plastics, lignin plastics, poly(trimethylene terephthalate)-Sorona™ Polymer), their blends, composites and nanocomposites
- Biocomposites from flax, hemp, kenaf, jute, sisal, henequen, cellulose, bamboo, corn stalk, soy stalk, wheat straw, talc and fly ash
- Functionalized plant oils
- Biobased Polyesters and their Composites
- Biobased Epoxies and their Composites
- Reactive extrusion processing
- Extrusion and injection molding of biocomposites
- Multilayer injection molding
- Biocomposite sheet molding compounds
- Biocomposite powder processing (BioSMC)
- Microwave processing of biocomposites
- Vacuum-assisted resin transfer molding (VARTM) of biocomposites
- Novel materials derived from starch and chitosan
- ENGG*2120 Material Science
- ENGG*2660 Biological Engineering
- ENGG*6130 Physical Properties of Biomaterials
Selected Recent Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
Complete List of Publications
- Mohanty, A., Wu, F., Mincheva, R., Hakkarainen, M., Raquez, J.M., Mielewski, D.F., Narayan, R., Netravali, A.N. & Misra, M. (2022). "Sustainable Polymers". Nature Reviews Methods Primers, 2 (46). 428.
- Pesaranhajiabbas, E., Pal, A., Rodriguez-Uribe, A., Mohanty, A. K., & Misra, M. (2022). "Biodegradable Polymer Blends: Studies on Performance Control through Droplet to Co-Continuous Morphology". ACS Applied Polymer Materials, (Accepted June 10, 2022). 427.
- Ford, R., Misra, M., Mohanty, A. K., Brandon, S. (2022). "Effect of simulated mass-tunable auxetic midsole on vertical ground reaction force". Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, (Accepted June 2, 2022). 426.
- Mishra, R., Mohanty, A. K., & Misra, M. (2022). "Value-added biocarbon production through slow pyrolysis of mixed bio-oil wastes: Studies on their physicochemical characteristics and structure-property-processing co-relation". Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery, (Accepted June 1, 2022). 425.
- Ford, R., Pal, A., Scott, B., Misra, M., Mohanty, A. K. (2022). "The influence of fused filament fabrication printing parameters on the mechanical properties of a thermoplastic elastomer". Rapid Prototyping Journal, (Accepted May 8, 2022). 424.
- Scharnowski, J. B., Rodriguez‐Uribe, A., Pal, A. K., Wang, T., Snowdon, M. R., Misra, M., & Mohanty, A. K. (2022). "Biocomposites from thermoplastic postindustrial waste starches filled with mineral fillers for single‐use flexible packaging". Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, 2100960. 423.
- Roy, P., Mohanty, A. K., & Misra. M. (2022). "Microplastics in the ecosystems: Their implications and mitigation pathway". Environmental Sciences Advances. 422.
- Gupta, A., Mohanty, A. K., & Misra, M. (2022). "Biocarbon from spent coffee ground and their sustainable biocomposites with recycled water bottle and bale wrap: A new life for waste plastics and waste food residues for industrial uses". Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 154, 106759. 421.
- Mishra, R., Misra, M., & Mohanty, A. K. (2022). "Value-added bio-carbon production through slow pyrolysis of waste bio-oil: Fundamental studies on their structure-property-processing correlation". ACS Omega. 420.
- Chen, G., Misra, M., & Mohanty, A. K. (2022). "Studies on curing kinetics of polyphenylene sulfide (PPS): An insight into effects of curing temperature and time on structure and thermomechanical behavior". Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 51817. 419.
- Sankari, M.S, Vivekanandhan, S., Misra, M. Mohanty, A.K. (2021). "Review on oil cakes as the sustainable agro-industrial feedstock for biocarbon materials". ChemBioEng Reviews. 418.
- Rodriguez-Uribe, A., Wang, T., Pal, A.K., Wu, F., Mohanty, A.K., Misra, M. (2021). "Injection moldable hybrid sustainable composites of PBS and PHBV reinforced with talc and starch as potential alternatives to single-use plastic packaging". Composites Part C: Open Access, 100201. 417.
- Maldonado, B., Pal, A., Mohanty, A. K. & Misra, M. (2021). "Sustainable 3D printed composites from recycled ocean plastics and pyrolyzed soy-hulls: Optimization of printing parameters, performance studies and prototypes development". Composites Part C - Open Access, 100197
- Pal, A., Mohanty, A. K., & Misra, M. (2021). "Additive manufacturing technology of polymeric materials for customized products: Recent developments and future prospective". RSC Advances, 11(58), 36398-36438.
- Gonzalez de Gortari, M., Wu, F., Mohanty, A. K., & Misra, M. (2021). "Evaluating the performance of a semiaromatic/aliphatic polyamide blend: The case for polyphthalamide (PPA) and polyamide 4, 10 (PA410)". Polymers, 13(19), 3391.
- Allohverdi, T., Mohanty, A. K., Roy, P., & Misra, M. (2021). "A review on current status of biochar uses in agriculture". Molecules, 26(18), 5584.
- Chang, B. P., Rodriguez-Uribe, A., Mohanty, A. K., & Misra, M. (2021). "A comprehensive review of renewable and sustainable biosourced carbon through pyrolysis in biocomposites uses: Current development and future opportunity". Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 152, 111666.
Composites Part C: Open Access is an open-access journal. Find out more.
Ph.D. and M.A.Sc. Student Openings in Biological Engineering with Funding
Funded Graduate Opportunities available in my research group - Ph.D. and M.A.Sc in Biological Engineering*
This graduate opportunity is for graduate students pursuing a degree in Biological Engineering for the following research areas in my team.
- 3D Printing of Bioplastics and Biocomposites
- Bioplastics and Biobased Polymers
- Biocomposites (Natural Fibre Composites) and Polymer Blends
- Green Composites including Recyclability, Durability and Biodegradability Studies
- Biobased Nanocomposites and Nano blends
- Biomedical Applications for Bioplastics and Biocomposites
- Biomass and Biomaterials Sustainability
- Value-added Biobased Materials from the Coproducts/Byproducts of Biofuel Industries
- Biodegradability (Compostability)
For entry into the Ph.D. Biological Engineering program, candidates must hold a thesis-based Master’s degree in engineering.
For entry in the M.A.Sc. programs, candidates must hold an Honours Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science.
If your first language is not English, you will be required to submit the results of a standardized language test. Please see the chart for acceptable tests and required scores. Please refer to the School of Engineering website for department requirements.
For more information on how to apply, please contact me by email:
email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the positions are filled.
A preliminary selection will be made based on the interviews to qualify the prospective candidate to apply for graduate studies at the University of Guelph. Selection does not guarantee acceptance for graduate studies.
*Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.