U of G business students compete for cash prizes at annual accounting case competition
The Accounting Society of Guelph (ASG) hosted their annual Crack the Case competition earlier this month, welcoming over 45 U of G business students to compete for cash prizes.
The annual competition features both a junior and senior accounting case competition, available for all U of G business students, that aims to create a competitive environment that requires teams to compete and perform under pressure. Teams are required to apply the accounting theories learned in class to real life situations.
“Throughout the entire day, students had the chance to network and engage with friends, delegates, sponsors, hosts and more,” said Jacob Hobbins, U of G accounting student and president of the ASG. “But what stood out what how every student was brave enough to walk into an unfamiliar situation and strive for me. Among all the people at the event, I saw one thing: leaders.”
This year’s competition saw 48 student delegates, making up 4 junior and 8 senior teams. Congratulations to this year’s winners:
- 1st Place (Junior): Team B | Emma Crosbie, Sharanya Tiwari, Abigayle Caza, Eva Sukhija
- 2nd Place (Junior): Team A | Saad Khan, Zachary Gomes, Alyssa Quaglia, Loeila Bardet
- 1st Place (Senior): Team D | Jason Smith, Kyle Rodrigues, Deborah Olsen, Erin McCarthy
- 2nd Place (Senior): Team H | Jenna Rolland-Mills, Lauren Chan, Andrew Hodgkinson, Haley Debruyne
- 3rd Place (Senior): Team E | Nadine Messina, Alexander Pacholkiw, Claire Cherry, Brandon Araujo
The event also included a keynote speaker, featuring Jaclyn Cairns, a senior tax manager in BDO’s Agriculture Team based out of Strathroy/London.
The sponsors for this year’s Crack the Case competition included: BDO LLP (title sponsor), Grant Thornton, CPA Ontario, KPMG, Deloitte, MNP, and RLP.
The Accounting Society of Guelph (ASG) is an accredited student organization that represents over 740 accounting students at the University of Guelph. The group aims to provide students with opportunities for both personal and professional development through events, workshops and networking opportunities.