Research Projects MCB*4500 & MCB*4510
Registering in Molecular and Cellular Biology Research Projects (MCB*4500 & MCB*4510)
Students in these courses do independent laboratory research under the supervision of individual faculty.
Instructions for Students
- You must have the prerequisites for Research Projects as detailed in the Calendar.
- A matching program has been implemented that will match student interests with faculty projects. This matching program occurs over several weeks in mid-January to early February. This program eliminates the need for students to find potential faculty advisors on their own. Note this is a voluntary program but is restricted to students and faculty member is CBS. More information will be available on the “CBS Research Readiness” Resource Page in CourseLink. However, you can still identify potential advisors from within CBS and departments outside of CBS on your own. MCB*4500/4510 Research projects outside MCB must involve biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics and/or microbiology. Research being done by faculty in the MCB Department is described on their faculty pages.
- After you have an advisor you need to fill out a Project Agreement.
Complete the Agreement by checking off the Prerequisites or identifying any deficiencies. Your Advisor MUST sign beside each deficiency. A Project Agreement is only complete when all signatures are obtained where required.
- When you have secured an advisor, obtain a Course Waiver Request form and fill it out for the course. The form can be picked up from Enrolment Services on the 3rd floor of the University Centre or it can be downloaded from the above link and printed.
- Leave the section number blank because the Course Coordinator will assign a section number corresponding to your faculty advisor.
- Make an appointment to meet with the Course Coordinator to hand in your signed Research Project Agreement form and have your Course Waiver Request form signed.
NOTE: the Course Coordinator signs your Course Waiver Request (not your advisor). The current Course Coordinator is Dr. Charlotte De Araujo (email@example.com).
- Submit the signed Course Waiver Request to Enrolment Services on the 3rd floor of the University Centre to be registered in the course.
NOTE: The Research Agreement is for the entire Project (MCB*4500 & MCB*4510) unless either the Student or the Advisor choose to withdraw.
Withdrawal must be made in writing to the Coordinator.