Degree FAQ

Below you can find answers to some of the most common questions regarding courses, minors, and the structure of the BAS program. You can find information about other academic services here.

Table of Contents:

Can I Take More Than Two Minors?

The short answer is that yes. However, each minor requires that you take 5.00 credits in that subject (10 single-semester courses), so taking more than two minors will require s significant planning and possibly additional time to complete your degree.

Taking three minors is not uncommon for BAS students, but it is important to plan strategically in order to ensure you are meeting your degree requirements. A minor consists of 5.00 credits, which - assuming you take five courses a semester - equates to two full terms, or one year, of study. To avoid taking an extra year, you can use your 3.00 free electives to take some of the courses you'll need for your third minor. Students who are able to double-count in their degree will increase their electives, such as by taking courses that count towards two of your minors (e.g. IPS*1500 and IPS*1510 count towards physics, maths, and statistics minors). If you use your electives and take advantage of double-counting, it is possible to complete three minors within four years. You can always talk to the BAS program counsellor for more help with degree planning.


Can I Take a Major Instead of a Minor?

You cannot complete a major while you are in the Bachelor of Arts and Science program. But also consider whether or not taking a major is necessary for your plans - completing a masters program or a PhD typically does not require the completion of a major!


Can I Take a Minor That Isn't Listed in the Undergrad Calendar?

Guelph has a huge selection of specializations, not all of which are offered through the BAS program. This is often because a department only has enough resources for a set number of students, or because a program major would be impossible to condense into a minor (e.g. nanoscience). Minors that aren't listed under the BAS undergraduate calendar cannot be counted as art or science minors for the purposes of your BAS degree. You can still complete minors that are not listed as options in the BAS program (click here for more on taking a third minor), but you would do so in addition to your ASCI art minor and your ASCI science minor.


Can I Switch Into (or Out of) the BAS Program?

Yes, provided you meet the admission requirements for whichever program you are switching into. To switch programs, you must complete an application form and submit it to admission services on the third floor of the University Centre (click here to learn more). We suggest talking to the BAS Program Counsellor as well as the program counsellor for the program you're switching from/into before you submit your application. It may also be wise to speak with your academic advisor(s) if you need more information about the specialization you will be completing.


When & How Do I Declare Minors?

You can declare your minors (and switch minors) at any time during your undergraduate program, though it is usually wise to do it as early as possible. Click here for more information and to access the form for declaring minors.


Will Having Two Minors Affect What Post-Graduate Studies I Can Pursue?

In most cases having two minors instead of a major will NOT be a hindrance on a students future plans. Students are still able to get into professional schools, graduate programs with two minors. Students who are interested in pursuing graduate school in one of their two minors should work with their Faculty Advisor to see which courses they should consider having that are outside of your minor to give your transcript a boost! E.g. Research courses, independent studies. Students who graduate from the BAS program have been successful in pursuing their careers and further studies in MANY areas. Check our our Careers & Opportunities page to find out more! A great way to prepare for future studies to ensure you have all of the correct pre-requisites from your undergraduate degree is to research and contact the admissions departments of programs you are interested in pursuing to find out more about their entrance requirements.