Course Selection

Below you can find answers to some of the most common questions about courses and course selection. First-year students are invited to check out this guide on picking their first-year courses, or this guide for more information about academics.

To help you plan your degree check out this Degree Progress Chart

Table of Contents:

When does course selection open?

You can already view Winter 2020 courses through WebAdvisor, and you can even select the courses that you want so that you can formally "add" them as soon as your course selection window is open. (Read the next topic if you aren't familiar with the process for adding/dropping courses.)

Your window for course selection depends on the number of credits you have completed and are in progress. You can consult the table provided by the Registrar's Office (this link) to find your course selection window. If you aren't sure how many credits you've completed, you can check on WebAdvisor by logging in and looking at your Unofficial Transcript. If you are a new student, then you have 0.00 credits completed/in progress.

Course selection will be open to all students as of 8:00AM on Monday, November 4, and will remain open until 11:59PM on January 20 (that's the Friday of the second week of classes). Note that most 1000-level courses will be restricted to first-year students until noon on Monday, November 18. For more information about course selection windows, click here.

How do I add or drop courses?

An official video guide demonstrating the process for adding courses can be found by following this link. You can also read a transcript of the video.


What happens when I drop a course?

You can use the above process to drop courses provided it is done before the "drop date".  Once a course is dropped, any record that you were enrolled in the course is removed from your academic transcript. Depending on when in the semester the course is dropped, you may be refunded some or all of your tuition according to this table. You can find other dates and deadlines by checking the current Schedule of Dates.


What if I need to drop a course after the drop deadline?

If you would like to drop a course after the drop date, you must contact the BAS Program Counsellor ​as soon as possible. Decisions regarding dropping courses after the drop deadline are made based on extenuating medical, psychological, or compassionate considerations, you can submit a written request and any supporting documentation to the BAS Program Counsellor no later than the 20th day of the following semester. 


Which first-year courses should I take?

That depends on your minors! Check out our page that discusses this topic at greater length to find out more.

To help you plan your degree check out this Degree Progress Chart

A course I need is full or restricted. What do I do?

For more information, check our article about course restrictions.

During the course "add period", some courses are restricted to students of certain majors/minors/programs or years. Below are three common situations:

1. If you are a FIRST year student and cannot get into a required course, you should email If you are NOT a first-year student, know that these 1000-level courses are reserved for first-year students until 12:00PM on Monday July 22. If you require a first year course but are not in first year, contact your Program Counsellor.

2. If you have been restricted from an ASCI course, you should email

3. Have you declared your minors yet? If not fill out this form and send it to

4. For any other situation the BAS Program Counsellor is not the best person to seek assistance from. When a student is restricted from a course, or the course is full they must gain permission for entry from the individual who controls the course (e.g. Instructor, Department, Program Counsellor for that area of study). Please take the following steps if you wish to seek entry into a course for which you are restricted from or is full.

  • Check on the available information about course restriction broken down by department by following this link. That page also contains the contact information for some departments/individuals on campus in case you need more information or other help with respect to course selection.
  • If you wish to be added to a full or restricted course, you must complete a Course Waiver Request form and obtain the signature of the instructor (or department) of that course. Please note, restrictions are in place for many reasons, so there is no guarantee that you can be signed into a course.
  • If you gain permission through a course waiver form then the completed form should be taken to Enrolment Services on the third floor of the University Centre. If you have trouble identifying or contacting the instructor of your course, or if you need to contact other faculty or staff concerning course restrictions, click here for more information.


What does "Discontinued Course" mean?

It is common to find "Discontinued Course" errors when browsing through academic calendars. In many cases, courses are re-numbered as undergraduate programs are updated or modified. (For instance, PHYS*1300 replaced PHYS*1020 in the 2015-2016 calendar as the introductory physics course for students who did not take a 12U physics course.) Please remember to use the academic calendar for the year that you started your current degree program, not the current year. If you started your BAS degree in September 2018, then you would use the 2018-2019 undergraduate calendar, and if you started a BSc. degree in 2016 but switched into the BAS in Fall 2017, then you would use the 2017-2018 academic calendar.

In many cases, discontinued courses that have already been taken will be counted as some equivalent course where prerequisites or program requirements are concerned. The discontinued course will show up as a "restriction" in the new courses description. If you are unsure you should contact the BAS Program Counsellor.

Descriptions of discontinued courses can also be found by looking through previous academic calendars.