Academic Standing & University Policy

Academic Standing & Probation

If you are struggling with your courses or program, please speak to your Program Counsellor! The University offers dozens of services designed to help students succeed. Below will provide more details for you on Probation and being Required to Withdraw.

Academic Standing refers to a students eligibility to continue in their studies and is assigned after each semester of study. Students are assigned: (1) Eligible to Continue, (2) Continue on Probation, or (3) Required to Withdraw. 


When are students placed on Academic Probation?

A student is placed on Academic Probation if they finish a semester with a cumulative average (between all semesters) that is above 50% but below 60%. 

A student who has 2.50 credit attempts or less (typically a first-year student) will only be put on Academic Probation if their cumulative average is below 50%.


What does Academic Probation Mean?

If you are on Academic Probation at the start of a semester, then you are required to finish that semester with a semester average of at least 60%. If your cumulative average rises above 60%, then you will no longer be on Academic Probation and be moved to Eligible to Continue.

If your cumulative average does not rise above 60%, you will still be on Academic Probation, however you will still be allowed to continue provided you achieved the semester average of 60% for that semester. If you do not receive a semester average of 60% while you are on academic Probation, then you will be Required to Withdraw for two semesters.

You can find full information on Probation in the Academic Calendar. The B.Sc. Academic Standing page also does a great job discussing specifics and further steps. If you are struggling with your courses or program, please speak to your Program Counsellor! The University offers dozens of services designed to help students succeed.


What does "Required to Withdraw" Mean?

Required to Withdraw standing means that the University of Guelph requires you to take a minimum of 2 semesters off. This is called the rustication period (the Summer semester may be included in this time period). For example, if you were Required to Withdraw after the Winter semester, the earliest you could apply for readmission to the University of Guelph would be the Winter semester of the following year. Click here to learn more.

There are two reasons why you would be Required to Withdraw:

  1. You were on Academic Probation and your semester average was below 60% or your cumulative average was below 50%.
  2. Academic Misconduct – Required to Withdraw may be the penalty for a student found guilty of academic misconduct. See the Withdrawal section of undergraduate calendar.

Please note: Required to Withdraw standing is not enforced at the end of the Fall semester (unless for reasons of Academic Misconduct). Instead, students who fail to meet the continuation of study requirements at the end of the Fall semester will be placed on 'Academic Probation 2' for the Winter semester. Failure to register for the Winter semester (or voluntary withdrawal from the Winter semester) will result in the Required to Withdraw standing being applied. Students are strongly advised to contact the BAS Program Counsellor to determine how 'Academic Probation 2' standing will affect their studies.


Can I appeal a Required to Withdraw Decision?

Yes, students who have been Required to Withdraw may appeal by submitting a Request for Academic Consideration. If no appeal is submitted, or if the appeal is denied, then students may apply for readmission. 



Students wishing to apply to return to the BAS program after being Required to Withdraw must apply to return.

Students are advised to take two degree-credit courses (1.00 credits) - total -  and one of the two courses must be a Science course through Open Learning and Educational Support during the 2 semester period of rustication. Not 1.00 credits in each semester, but a total of 1.00 credits. Normally, two degree-credit Open Learning Science courses with minimum grades of 70% in each will support an application for readmission. This is a key consideration in the readmission process. Failure to take these two Science courses may be considered grounds for denial of your readmission application.

To search courses offered by Open Learning and Educational Support, please visit their website.

Admission decisions are based on the complete academic history of the applicant. You must apply for readmission by completing the Internal Transfer/Readmissionprocess. Please follow the instructions closely, paying special attention to application deadlines. Applying for readmission requires you to write a letter to accompany the application form addressing four different issues:

  1. Why you are reapplying,
  2. What you have been doing since your last registration at Guelph,
  3. A statement of reason(s) for past academic performance,
  4. Steps you have taken to ensure academic success in the future.

All of this information along with all other application requirements can be found on the admission information pages.

Again, please note the applications deadlines for re-admission.


University Policy & Academic Misconduct

Academic Misconduct includes a variety of offences outlined under University Policy, such as plagiarism (whether it is deliberate or not), cheating on tests or exams (or assisting other students in doing so), fabricating the results of research, and so on. All incidents of misconduct are taken very seriously by the University; It is worth mentioning that some of these practices - such as plagiarism - are also criminal offences. Academic guidelines are usually detailed in course outlines which are discussed by instructors in-class each semester. If you have any questions or concerns regarding misconduct, please review the University Policy page.

You can find information about non-academic misconduct on this page.

If you have further questions that are not addressed below, click here to learn more. The B.Sc. Academic Standing page also does a great job discussing specifics and further steps.

If you are struggling with your courses or program, please speak to your Program Counsellor! The University offers dozens of services designed to help students succeed.


Voluntary Withdraw

You can choose to voluntarily withdraw from the University of Guelph. As long as six consecutive semesters have not passed before you register again for courses at the University of Guelph, you will not have to re-apply. For example, if you took courses in the Winter 2016 semester, you must register for courses again no later than Winter 2018. You may use WebAdvisor to register (during regular course registration periods) and are advised to do this during the semester prior to your return. To view the Schedule of Dates, including course registration periods, see the Undergraduate Calendar. After 6 consecutive semesters of not enrolling in courses, you will have to reapply to the University of Guelph through the Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC).