AHL Guelph Specimen Reception update
Jim Fairles, Jennifer Zoethout
Animal Health Laboratory, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON
AHL Newsletter 2021;25(1):3.
- Courier update: Although Purolator courier service has returned to a somewhat normal delivery schedule, there are still times when shipments are delayed. This has become noticeable again during the lockdown and around special dates (where general courier business is increased). These are beyond AHL’s control and unfortunately, all of the large courier companies are experiencing the same issues. Saturday delivery (extra costs are incurred) remains unpredictable, is only available in certain areas, and is not recommended. AHL does have some local courier options (additional costs are involved). Please feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss courier options.
- Packaging submissions: Due to courier delays and especially with warmer weather approaching, please ensure you are packaging submissions accordingly. Our submission instructions and overview videos are available to watch on our website. Any major announcements are also available there (inclement weather, holiday hours etc.): https://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/
- Testing options at AHL: We continually keep apprised of new and innovative testing options at AHL. Our submission forms have our main and most frequent testing options. If there is a test that you are looking for and do not see, please inquire. We are part of a large network of Canadian and American labs and can send samples throughout these countries for specialized testing, provided all permits are in place. We also constantly have new and updated testing methods in development. We are always interested in feedback from our clients around new tests that have potential for improving the health of the animal population. AHL continues to add combinations/panels of tests as well. Listed below are some of the new tests introduced at AHL in 2020. Details pertaining to specimen type, volume, turnaround time etc. can be found in our fee schedule online: https://www.uoguelph.ca/ahl/tests
For the veterinary community, please email email@example.com for a user name and password for pricing if you do not already have access. Pricing information is not available to the general public.
- Anaplasma marginale and A. centrale - duplex qPCR (anapcr)
- Avian metapneumovirus (AMPV) – ELISA (ampve)
- Comprehensive Bovine Respiratory Disease Panel (brsppnl): Coronavirus PCR, Bovine respiratory virus panel - PCR (BoHV-1/IBR, BPIV-3, BRSV), BVDV Type 1 and 2 PCR, Bacterial culture.
- Cryptosporidium species – PCR (crypto)
- Swine dystrophin – genotyping (dystype)