Conversational Chinese I F18 (CHIN*1280)
Code and section: CHIN*1280*01
Term: Fall 2018
This course is for students who have no previous knowledge of Mandarin Chinese
to develop basic listening and speaking skills. Students are exposed to basic
sentence patterns by engaging in simple dialogues using Pinyin, the Romanization
of Mandarin phonetics.
- Master “Putonghua” (Mandarin Chinese) pronunciation and intonation.
- Converse fluently in the most frequently used words and sentences.
- Carry out simple communications in daily life situations by using functional
This course is restricted to students who are not fluent in Mandarin Chinese.
- Intensive Spoken Chinese 口语速成
- CD for the texts
Method of presentation:
- The course will teach only the essential and ensure plenty of practice.
- Active student participation is vitally important to a successful experience of
learning the language.
- Pre-class preparation and after-class review of the materials are essential to
achieving the learning outcomes.