Introductory Chinese I F18 (CHIN*1200)
Code and section: CHIN*1200*01
Term: Fall 2018
This is an introductory course for students who have no prior background in writing,
speaking, or understanding any dialect of the Chinese language to develop basic
listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. Practical oral and written exercises
are used to provide a firm phonetic and grammatical foundation for further study.
- Master the most basic skills in pronunciation, vocabulary and sentence
patterns of the Mandarin Chinese.
- Master strokes, order of strokes and structure of a Chinese character;
know characters learned from the course.
- Have the preliminary ability to communicate in Chinese and the relevant
knowledge of Chinese culture.
Students with native or near-native ability in Chinese will not be admitted to this course.
- New Practical Chinese Reader Textbook Vol. 1 新实用汉语课本
- New Practical Chinese Reader Workbook Vol. 1 练习册
- CD sets for Textbook and Workbook (required to complete homework)
Method of presentation:
- The course will teach only the essential and ensure plenty of practice.
- Active student participation is vitally important to a successful experience of
- learning the language.
- After-class completion of exercises in the workbook and memorization of
characters from the textbook are essential to achieving the learning outcomes.