Introductory Portuguese (Brazilian Culture) F17 (PORT*1100)
Code and section: PORT*1100*01
Term: Fall 2017
This course provides the basics of spoken and written Portuguese for students with no previous studies in the language. The learning context will be present-day Brazilian culture. The course will bring together Portuguese grammar and language skills into a useful and practical framework. The basic elements of Portuguese grammar will be studied, with emphasis on group and individual oral practice. Focus will be given to the development of skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
By the end of the course, students should achieve basic communication in Portuguese and should be able to:
• formulate and express ideas in a variety of situations;
• extract specific information from live or recorded speech;
• organize thoughts and ideas for clear concise written presentation;
• express thoughts and ideas orally and participate in discussions;
• gain appreciation for Brazilian-Portuguese culture through music, movies, art, etc.