Call For SCRIBE Writers
Attention CBS graduate students! Do you enjoy writing about science and want to develop this important professional skill while earning extra money? Join SCRIBE!
The College of Biological Science is seeking writers for its Students Communicating Research in Biology Education (SCRIBE) program! Get paid while you hone your science communication skills and translate emerging research from CBS to the public!
You are eligible to apply if you are:
- A CBS graduate student enrolled until at least December 2022
- Can commit to two online training sessions in February
To apply: send us your name, student ID, program, expected graduation date, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org before January 14, 2022, at 5 pm EST.
How does SCRIBE work?
- Get trained: Selected students will attend two training sessions (Scheduled for February 4 and 11, 2022, 10-11:30 am).
- Select an article: Choose any recent CBS research article you’re interested in! We will provide a list that’s updated weekly.
- Write: Interview the researcher, write a journalistic-style story about the research, get feedback, and prepare the final version
- Spread the word: Your story will be shared on various CBS platforms!
- Get paid: $50/story.
- Q: How long are the research stories? How many do I have to write per year?
- A: Stories are usually 500-800 words long. There’s no minimum. Write as many as you wish!
- Q: What kind of writing sample do you accept?
- A: Any original piece you’ve written, from conference abstracts to paper excerpts, statements for scholarship applications, blog posts, or others.
- Q: What does the training cover?
- A: It covers topics such as how to tell a story, hook the audience, interview a researcher, use quotations effectively, edit your work, and more!
- Q: How many new writers do you take on?
- A: We take on 10-15 new writers each year.