MSc Semester 6
- UNIV*7510*01 Active Full-time Registration or UNIV*7520*01 Active Part-time Registration
- UNIV*7500*01 Research/Writing
Complete a Graduate Student Progress Report for Semester 5
Review the Thesis Guidelines from the Office of Graduate Studies.
- 9 weeks to Defense - Monday, October 5th, 2020
- Student and Advisor agree that the thesis is ready for examination. Advisory Committee members review the thesis as they would a manuscript submitted for publication.
- Check and clear potential copyright issues with including already published chapters in your thesis: Intellectual Property Issues
- 7 weeks to Defense - Monday, October 19th, 2020
- Advisory Committee members return the thesis to the student with their written comments, discussing the comments with the student as necessary. Student revises the thesis as he or she deems appropriate.
- 6 weeks to Defense - Monday, October 26th, 2020
- Student submits a "fair copy" of the proposed final version of thesis to each member of their Advisory Committee for final review
- obtain their signatures on the Examination Request Form
- 5 weeks to Defense - Monday, November 2nd, 2020
- Faculty will normally return the draft thesis, with written comments, to the student within 2 weeks of receipt. If a member of the Advisory Committee is unable to review the draft thesis because of absence from campus, or does not review the draft thesis within 3 weeks of submission, the student may inform the Graduate Program Assistant, and need not acquire the signature of that Advisory Committee member on the Examination form (provided there are still a minimum of 2 signatures in order to satisfy the Graduate Studies requirement). Students are encouraged to plan well in advance and to select a target date for the defense that leaves ample time afterward should the thesis be judged satisfactory but require revision. Committee Members must indicate on the Examination Request form whether they find the thesis to be ready for examination, and choose one of the options indicating in what state they deem the thesis to be. Student submits thesis in electronic format and the completed Exam Request Form to the Graduate Program Assistant.
- Monday, November 9th, 2020
- Student will submit an electronic copy of the final version of the thesis to the Graduate Program Assistant. If this deadline is met, the Department will make every effort to ensure that the student defends within 4 weeks after submission of the thesis, but no sooner than 2 weeks. In truly exceptional and uncontrollable circumstances, the Department may attempt to accommodate an Examination Request that is received after this date, but cannot ensure that a defense will take place before the semester has officially ended. The Department Chair appoints the Examination Committee. The thesis is distributed to the Examination Committee along with defense information once the Graduate Program Assistant identifies a day and time that is agreeable to all Committee members.
*****You must submit your thesis and a complete Exam Request Form to the department by Monday, November 9th to guarantee an F'20 defense date.*****
- Guidelines for Defense
- 1 (or more) weeks after Defense
- Student completes thesis revisions and submits approved thesis electronically to the Atrium (see Thesis submission forms on Grad Studies Website and Theses guide on OGS). Student submits an application to graduate and all defense forms with required signatures to the Office of Graduate Studies.
- Deadline date
- Class Level 6 (or 6 full-time semesters) is the completion period.
- Maximum registration If timely defense does not occur:
- Plan of Study and Progress Report must be submitted to A & P by the 20th class day of Class Level 7 (or 7 full-time semesters)
- If approved, continuation is permitted through Class Levels 7 and 8 (or 7 and 8 full-time semesters) to a Maximum Program Duration with the approved Plan of Study.
- Class level 9 (or 9 full-time semesters) is the Maximum Program Duration The Appeal for Extension of the Maximum Program Duration Form must be submitted to A & P by the 20th class day.