Studying at Another University | Gordon S. Lang School of Business and Economics

Studying at Another University

Letter of Permission (LOP)

If you wish to enrol in a course at another university and have that course considered as a credit toward your Guelph degree, you may be eligible to do so through the Letter of Permission process. You are permitted to take a maximum of 2.5 credits on a Letter of Permission and must have a cumulative GPA of 60% or better. Given the complexity of these requests, you must meet with a Program Counsellor before beginning the process. We will review the required steps, including how to have courses evaluated and approved by a faculty member.

Studying Abroad: Exchange Programs

Studying abroad allows you to gain a new global perspective while earning academic credits. In a marketplace that is becoming increasingly global, experiencing a different country can be a great way to gain an understanding of cultural differences. Studying abroad will put you on the path to becoming a true global citizen!

The best place to start your investigation is the Centre for International Programs (CIP) website. After reviewing this information, if you are interested in studying abroad, the next step is to attend a Study Abroad Information Session.

In addition to the information available from CIP, there are some additional factors that apply specifically to B.Comm students. If at any point you have questions, you are welcome to meet with a Program Counsellor.

  1. Plan ahead! It is never too early to start. We encourage you to meet with a Program Counsellor early so we can go over how your study abroad semester will fit into your degree program. Remember, most B.Comm majors are structured, so pre-planning is critical!
  2. In general, we recommend that you save your Free and Liberal Education Electives for your study abroad semester. While it is sometimes possible to obtain core courses/restricted electives abroad, this is not always achievable. And for some majors, there are no international equivalents for Guelph courses.
  3. If you do decide to pursue core courses/restricted electives, you need to have these courses evaluated and approved by a faculty member—this can take time, so start this process early! A Program Counsellor will outline the steps for you.
  4. Studying abroad does not generally extend the length of your degree, provided you plan your courses accordingly.
  5. Third year is when most students study abroad. You can go in other semesters, but this requires careful planning. 
  6. Be mindful of the timing of international semesters. For many countries, academic terms begin and end differently than in Canada.
  7. Remember that when you are searching for schools, you are not limited to attending a business school. In some cases, this might be a disadvantage. A Program Counsellor can discuss international school options with you during a meeting.  
  8. If you are a Co-op student, yes, you can study abroad! Keep in mind though, that your semester abroad must coincide with an academic term. If you want to study abroad during a scheduled work-term you must seek approval from your Co-op Coordinator first.
  9. While it is possible to complete a minor and study abroad, it can be complicated. A Program Counsellor can go over these issues with you in detail.
  10. While most exchange programs take place during the fall or winter semester, there are also shorter summer programs available—check the Centre for International Programs website for details.
  11. And last but not least--be flexible! Be prepared that plans can change