Better Sleep Program
Date and Time
Room 332 University Centre, University of Guelph
Learn the most effective cognitive / behavioural strategies that decrease insomnia . . .
This 5 session group program meets once a week to provide information and skills instruction in the cognitive / behavioural techniques which decrease insomnia and promote better, more restful, sleep. For greatest success, daily home practice is very strongly recommended.
YOU WILL LEARN :
- self-regulation strategies to help fall asleep, or back to sleep, more easily
- the sleep behaviours most highly recommended by sleep researchers
- lifestyle factors influencing sleep architecture
- tips on sleep efficiency and energy management
- myths and facts about sleep
- techniques to clear the mind of unproductive self-talk, worry and mental chatter
- the common self-expectations about sleep
- how to keep a sleep diary
- the bedtime relaxation techniques used by NASA, the armed forces, the Mayo Clinic and Harvard Medical School Sleep Program, to develop stronger abilities to relax the body, calm the mind, and promote better sleep
Depending on group composition there may also be discussion on applying the techniques to shiftwork, jetlag, and seniors' sleep patterns. Participants are encouraged to follow-up this educational program with continued self-monitoring, behavioural/lifestyle changes, and skills practice.
This program is experiential, which makes it hard for you to get the full sense of its possibilities from simply reading a program description. Perhaps it would help to know what past participants have said... read more...
Women may also be interested in participating in a one evening workshop on Better Sleep for Peri-Menopausal Women. read more...
Following the Better Sleep Program, some participants may benefit from enrolling in the 12 session Relaxation and Stress Management Skills Training program. This would further develop and strengthen skills in physical and mental relaxation to set the stage to for sleep to come, or to fall back to sleep if awakening with a "busy brain" during the night.
You may choose to have a combination of a group program and private sessions. For example, you may have one or more private training sessions to get started on some strategies right away while waiting for the next group program to start. Some individuals progress further with some private training after a group program to tailor the ideas to their specific situation.
Learn more and register at: http://www.selfregulationskills.ca/programs/better-sleep/