Celebrating International Day of Yoga
What is yoga?
Yoga is an ancient physical, mental and spiritual practice. The word 'yoga' translates to "unite" or "join," connecting the body and consciousness (United Nations).
“Yoga cultivates the ways of maintaining a balanced attitude in day-to-day life and endows skill in the performance of one’s actions.” - B. K. S. Iyengar
What are some benefits of yoga?
- Enhanced relaxation and deepen breathing
- Boost circulation and relieve stress and tension
- Increase flexibility and improve balance
- Enhance concentration and reduce fatigue
- And more! (see attachement below for additional information)
How can I practice yoga at work?
- Join the celebration on Johnston Green on June 21 from 12-1pm for a Yoga Practice followed by a picnic from 1-2pm. Please see the attached poster for more details.
- Every Tuesday, free classical yoga for total health and awareness is offered on campus in the University Centre.
- Free yoga practices are also available online. More than 50% of the classes are free with varying levels, instructors, and specific types of yoga classes. Here are a few examples of practices you can try out at your desk or at home:
- View the Guelph Gryphons Athletics Centre NRG schedule for a full list of Yoga and Pilates classes available daily.