University of Guelph Concert Winds
Students from all disciplines come together to make the University of Guelph Concert Winds a successful, performing wind ensemble. For over twenty five years this concert band has attracted students dedicated to their former high school band programs with the desire to perform challenging band music at university. This ensemble of over forty members, rehearses once a week performing concerts each semester. The Concert Winds has developed a proud tradition of performing a variety of repertoire ranging from traditional marches to orchestral transcriptions to Broadway and contemporary works.
All new members must complete a successful audition. Audition dates occur in early September for the fall semester and early January for the winter semester.
The band performs a concert at the end of each semester. Some of the past material performed is listed below.
- First Suite in Eb – G. Holst
- Folk Song Suite – R. V. Williams
- Jupiter and Mars from the Planets – G. Holst
- A Bernstein Tribute – C. Grundman
- Firebird Suite – Stravinsky arr. Curnow
- Variations on a Korean Folk Song – J.B.Chance
- Africa – Robert W Smith
- Lincolnshire Posey - Percy Grainger
- Harry Potter Symphonic Suite - J. Williams / R.W. Smith
- Godzilla Eats Las Vegas - Eric Whitacre