Sylvanus Kwaku Afesorgbor
I am an Assistant Professor at the Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics (FARE), University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Prior to my current position, I was a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Tuborg Research Centre for Globalization and Firms of Aarhus University, Denmark, as well as, a Max Weber Postdoctoral Fellow at the Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies of European University Institute, Florence, Italy. My research and teaching experiences are in the areas of International Political Economy, Globalization and Development, Impact Evaluation and Applied Econometrics, InternationalTrade , Food and Development, Gender Economics. Apart from my academic work, I consult occasionally for international organizations such as the African Development Bank, Ivory Coast and International Trade Centre, Switzerland.
Affiliations and Partnership
Awards and Honours
- Max Weber Post-doctoral grant of €32,400.00 , European University Institute, Florence, Italy (2015/16)
- Professor Hans Opschoor Award for Best Master Thesis, Economics of Development, ISS, Erasmus University, Netherlands (2010)
- PhD fellowship grant by the Danish Government (2012)
- Master’s Degree fellowship grant by Dutch government (2009)
The impact of economic sanctions on international trade: How do threatened sanctions compare with imposed sanctions? European Journal of Political Economy (2018), Forthcoming.
Economic Diplomacy in Africa: The Impact of Regional Integration versus Bilateral Diplomacy on Bilateral Trade. Research Handbook of Economic Diplomacy: Bilateral Relations in the Context of Geopolitical Change, (June 2018), pp. 326-346, edited by Peter van Bergeijk and Selwyn J.V. Moons. Edward Elgar Publishing, UK.
- Regionalism in Africa: Genealogies, Institutions and Trans-State Networks, by Daniel C. Bach, Routledge Studies in African Politics and International Relations, The Journal of Modern African Studies (2017), Cambridge University Press. (Book Review)
- Revisiting the Effect of Regional Integration on African Trade: Evidence from Meta-Analysis and Gravity Model. Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, (2017), 26(2), 133-153.
- Measuring Multi‐Membership in Economic Integration and Its Trade Impact: A Comparative Study of ECOWAS and SADC. South African Journal of Economics (2014), 82(4), 518-530. With P. van Bergeijk.
- The Impact of Import Competition from China on Gendered Labor-market Outcomes: Evidence from Ethiopian Firm-Level Data. (With R. Agbenyega and Y. Ayele)
- The Effects of Trade Facilitation on Trade Performance in Africa. (D. Sakyi)
- Facilitating Trade in ECOWAS Insights from the ITC Business Surveys on Non-tariff measures. Project commissioned and funded by African Development Bank.
- Aid, Inequality and Regime Change Revisited. With C. Bjørnskov.
- Preferential Market Access, Foreign Aid and Economic Development, With K. G. Abreha