Spotlight on Graduate Research in Tourism and Hospitality
About the event
The School of Hospitality, Food and Tourism Management (HFTM) at University of Guelph is hosting Spotlight on Graduate Research in Tourism and Hospitality on Saturday, April 7, 2018. This event offers opportunities for students to explore the current graduate students’ research, to learn about the various graduate programs in tourism and hospitality, and to connect with graduate students and professors to discover the benefits of an advanced degree in tourism and hospitality.
Graduate coordinators, professors, and graduate students from the following universities will join us to answer your questions about the graduate programs: Brock University, Ryerson University, University of Waterloo & University of Guelph.
At the Spotlight event, you will
- learn about trends in tourism and hospitaliy from the current graduate students’ research presentations;
- learn about graduate programs (both Ph.D. and master’s programs) offered at the following universities: Brock University, University of Waterloo & University of Guelph; and
- meet graduate program faculty members and current students.
Refreshments and lunch will be complimentary, if you register online for this event (click the link below) by March 30. After that, late registration fee ($35) will be applied.
CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
Who can apply?
- Any undergraduate/graduate student who is conducting/has completed a faculty-supervised research project related to tourism, food or hospitality.
How can I present my research?
- You will present with the format of a poster presentation and oral presentation.
- Your poster (36’ tall x 48’ wide) will be posted in the room during the day.
- During your poster session, you will be put into the spotlight to present for 7 minutes. After all presenters have presented their research, the audience will have 30 minutes to ask all presenters questions and get to know more about your research. It will be a great chance for you to network while showcasing your hard work!
How to apply?
- You may contact the main contact person of your university to express your interest in participating.
- Brock University - Dr. Christopher Fullerton email@example.com
- Ryerson University - Dr. Frederic Dimanche firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Waterloo - Dr. Heather Mair email@example.com
- George Brown College - Christopher McCarthy firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Guelph- Dr. Chris Choi email@example.com
- If you are qualified to present, you may fill in the application form.
- The application deadline has been extended to: Monday, March 19, 2018 - 11:59 p.m.
Event Registration link
- Note: presenters must complete this registration form as well.
Register by: Friday, March 30, 2018 at 11:59 pm to attend the event for free.
- Late registration fee: $35 per person
Tentative Event Schedule
- 8:30 am – 9:15am: Registration (Macdonald Hall Lobby) and breakfast
- 9:30am – 9:40am: Welcome
- 9:40am – 10:30am: Poster presentation 1 and Q&A
- 10:30am – 10:50am: Coffee break
- 10:50am – 11:40am: Poster presentation 2 and Q&A
- 11:50am – 12:30pm: Panel Speaker Discussion (Graduate Coordinators)
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm: Lunch
- 1:30pm – 2:20pm: Poster presentation 3 and Q&A
- 2:20pm – 3:10pm: Poster presentation 4 and Q&A
- 3:10pm – 3:40pm: Coffee break
- 3:40pm – 4:20pm: Panel Speaker Discussion (Graduate Students)
- 4:20pm – 4:30pm: Thank you
Parking & Maps
Hotels close to campus
If you require accommodation, the following hotels are located with .5 to 1 km of the campus.
- Days Inn Guelph - 785 Gordon Street, Guelph TEL: 519-822-9112
- Delta Guelph – 50 Stone Road West, Guelph TEL: 519-780-3701
- Holiday Inn Guelph - 601 Scottsdale, Guelph TEL: 519-836-0231
Other hotels in the city
- Comfort Inn - 480 Silvercreek Parkway, Guelph TEL: 519-763-1900
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Guelph - TEL: 519-763-2339·
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Guelph - 725 Imperial Road North, Guelph TEL: 519-821-2144
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Guelph - 540 Silvercreek Parkway, Guelph TEL: 519-824-2400
- Staybridge Suites Guelph - 11 Corporate Court, Guelph TEL: 519-767-3300
- Super 8 Motel - 281 Woodlawn Road West, Guelph TEL:- 519-836-5850
- Travel Lodge Inn & Suites - 106 Carden St, Guelph TEL: 519-836-1331