Capacity Development and Extension Research
Our faculty and students are involved in a number of research and outreach projects in Canada and around the world. These are some selected projects and areas of research, past and present.
Canadian Research Projects
- Innovative Partnerships for Regional Economic Development: Ontario’s Colleges of Applied Arts & Technology, in Collaboration with Small and Medium Rural Enterprises
- The Fusion Youth and Technology Centre: An Assessment of an Integrated Rural Youth Development and Labour Force Development Strategy
- Digital Ontario
- Western Ontario Warden’s Caucus SWIFT (regional broadband) Feasibility Study
- Intellectual Property Management for Agri-Food Innovation
- Turfgrass Outreach Project
Members of the department have played a key role in research and development of computer mediated communication (CMC), and computer assisted learning. The use of the Internet, World Wide Web and its implications for distance education in rural areas, nationally and internationally is a growing component of the program.
Video is a group and community process tool, and the department has its own recording and editing equipment to facilitate teaching and learning at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The communication technology stream is noted for its cooperative development and research activities around the world.
- Internet Uptake in Rural and Remote Areas
- Gender and ICTs for Development
- Rural Radio for Development
- Participatory Video
- Farmer-First Knowledge Translation and Transfer
- Regional & Rural Broadband - R2B2
International Research/Development Projects
Capacity Development and Extension has amassed considerable research, teaching and project management experience in other countries including: Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Kenya, Nigeria, Russia, Bolivia, Brazil, India, Egypt, Ghana, Uganda, Senegal and Cameroon. Projects in these countries have looked at rural quality of life, agricultural extension practices, communication technology (including Internet connectivity) and distance education programs. Students may have the opportunity to become involved in future projects.
- Distance Learning Project in Seed Technology in India
- Diploma in Tropical Agriculture Through Distance Education/Independent Study in Cameroon
- Distance Learning Project for Agriculture and Rural Development in Egypt
- Farm Management/Distance Learning Project in Russia
- Resource Mobilization for Rural Radio in Africa
- Gender and Agriculture in the Information Society
- Sri Lanka Restore (after the Tsunami)
- Innovative Uses of ICTs for Agricultural Communities (Sri Lanka)
- The Role of Media in Agriculture and Rural Development (Africa, Caribbean and Pacific nations)
- Agroforestry for Enhancing Poverty Reduction (APERL) in Ghana
- Making Agriculture Work for Small-Holder Farmers Affected by HIV/AIDS in Southern Africa
- In Kidi Ya Chanza – Radio Drama for Climate Change Adaptation (Nigeria)
- Blog "Makala Renouveable" project (Democratic Republic of Congo)