Bachelor of Landscape Architecture
Landscape Architecture is a profession committed to the creation of meaningful and vital outdoor places and to the sustainable management of our environment. Landscape Architects strive to establish a balance between our use and enjoyment of the land with the conservation and health of the environment. The Profession is committed to improving our quality of life by applying creative, technical and scientific skills to manage and create environments that are attractive, functional, innovative and appropriate. The full accredited BLA program at Guelph leads to a professional degree that meets the educational requirements for entry into professional associations across Canada, North America and abroad.
In our four year, full-time professional degree program you will take lecture, seminar, field trip and studio courses. The intensive studio courses, taken every fall and winter term, allow you to practice and master what you have learned. You will work on design solutions alone or in teams, with input and critique from faculty. Through frequent presentations you will develop abilities in verbal and graphic communication of your design ideas. Students find our BLA program to be an intense and enjoyable way to learn.
The BLA honours degree program of studies addresses both the learning objectives of the University and the needs of the profession of landscape architecture. Half of the required credits are through courses given in the Landscape Architecture program; other required courses are taken from departments throughout the University. You are also able to choose nine electives from other departments on campus. This allows you to take courses in a number of disciplines or concentrate on one or two areas of interest.
There are a number of unique learning opportunities provided through the BLA program. You may earn academic credit for work in professional offices, take advantage of our international exchange program that allows students to study in many foreign countries, assist community groups by participating through the Community Outreach Centre, or become involved in social and professional life through annual conferences, field trips and events. Our program is well equipped with output facilities, and all students are assigned their own studio workspace with 24/7 access.
Please refer the the University of Guelph's Undergraduate Calendar under Landscape Architecture for details on courses and program requirements.
Graduates from our BLA program are in high demand nationally and around the world as the program has an excellent reputation based on over 40 years of experience preparing students for careers in landscape architecture. Our graduates are employed by:
- Landscape architecture firms
- Design and planning firms
- The public sector (municipalities - community planning and design)
- Design-build firms (designing and constructing built works)
- Communities and firms across Canada, in the United States, and in other countries around the world.
And a growing number of BLA graduates pursue advanced degrees in landscape architecture or in related disciplines.
For details on applying to the BLA program, please refer to the Undergraduate Admission website.
Find us on Social Media!
Find More Information on the BLA Degree Program and the LA Profession
For information on the Bachelor of Landscape Architecture program at the University of Guelph, visit the following links:
- Office of the Registrar - Undergraduate Admissions
- Undergraduate Calendar - Bachelor of Landscape Architecture Degree Program
For information on the profession of landscape architecture, please visit the following links:
- Ontario Association of Landscape Architects and "What is Landscape Architecture?" (OALA)
- Canadian Society of Landscape Architects (CSLA)
- Landscape Architecture Canada Foundation (LACF)
- American Society of Landscape Architects and "Your Path to Landscape Architecture" (ASLA)
- Landscape Architecture Foundation (LAF)
- International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA)
- Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (CELA)
- Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards (CLARB)
- Landscape Architect Registration Exam (LARE)