Behind-the-Scenes at the Bovey Greenhouse
As part of the ON TOUR series offered by Wellness@Work, employees were invited to explore the Bovey Greenhouse with tour host Rodger Tschanz.
Participants learned about the research happening in the greenhouse and partnerships that have formed with on-campus departments. At the end of the tour, participants potted their own sunflower or basil plant to take home.
Below is some of the great feedback participants shared after the tour, along with some photo highlights.
What did you like most about the tour?
- The fact that we were able to see the different sections of the green house and all the cool research that is been done there.
- Nice to spend some time in such an earthy place in the dead of winter. Interesting to access a space not usually accessible to us.
- I liked hearing about some of the research being done - Russian dandelions, for example.
- Learning more about what UofG does and the relationships between depts (eg. hospitality and the greenhouses).
How has this helped support your wellness at work?
- As the weather outside is cool, apart from seeing all the beautiful plants, I also got some time to walk around and exercise at the same time.
- Forced me to take lunch that day!
- The setting is very important - to smell the earth and feel the humidity in winter was a great boon. I also didn't know the greenhouses are open to members of the community, and I'd like to take advantage of that more often.
- Made me cheerful for the whole day and the basil plant I have in my office which was given to us was a nice touch!
I really enjoy seeing/learning about many of the activities going on on-campus - so any tour would interest me!