Undergraduate Honours Thesis
*updated February 1, 2018*
Undergraduate Honours Thesis in Psychology
PSYC*4870 Honours Thesis I [0.50 credit] Under individual faculty supervision, students plan, develop, and write a research proposal and prepare an extensive review paper on their area of research. Group sessions are held on research ethics, subject protocols, and applying to graduate school.
PSYC*4880 Honours Thesis II [1.00 credit] Students conduct research and write an undergraduate thesis under the direction of a faculty member, present a poster, and reflect upon their work.
Once your application has been confirmed, you and your supervisor will complete a course outline for your project.
- Template: PSYC*4870 F18 Course Outline (must be completed by supervisor and student)
- Upon completion, forward to Sharon Helder at firstname.lastname@example.org located in MCKN 4015.
Actions required, and things to keep in mind:
- Contact potential supervisors.
- Obtaining a supervisor's agreement greatly increases the possibility that you will be approved for the honours thesis, however be aware that it is still a competitive process.
- You can find out who is accepting students by clicking on their profile at: https://www.uoguelph.ca/psychology/directory/faculty
- You can not do an honours thesis without a superviosr. Applicants who have not identified one will be added to the pool of candidates that will be reviewed in June.
- If you are waiting to be matched with a supervisor, you should choose your fall courses as if you will not be doing an honours thesis in order to ensure that you get a spot, since the 4th year courses fill up quickly.
- The course size is limited to 50 students. (Each year, some qualified students are not accepted.)
- While the minimum average for acceptance is a Psychology average of 75% in Psychology courses, in reality students with an average below 80% are not usually accepted because demand for the class exceeds class size.
- Only consider the Honours Thesis if you intend to pursue a post-graduate degree.
- Complete the Request to Enrol.
- Submit to Sharon Helder at email@example.com or MacKinnon 4015.
Fall'2018/Winter'2019 Honours Thesis:
Application process and timeline
|February 28||"Soft" deadline for submission of "request to enrol" form.|
Add period for Fall'18: IF the following has occured you will receive a course waiver allowing you to register in PSYC*4870:
|June 30||Students who have not found a supervisor on their own will be notified whether or not they have been accepted.|
|August||Ensure course outline has been signed and you are registered in the course.|
Tips for contacting a potential supervisor:
- Before you contact them, familiarize yourself with their work: read their papers, know what type of work they do.
- Be flexible in balancing your own ideas to fit within the research.
- Be prepared to provide intellectual contribution to the project even if the work is already underway.
- Be considerate: drop in during office hours if possible or set up an appointment.
Sample posters from the class of 2017:
Aleece Katan and Dr. Heidi Bailey
Self-Compassion as a Moderator of Reactions to Social Rejection
Brianne Gayfer, Jasmine Mahdy (MA) and Dr. Stephen Lewis
Peer Reactions to Non-Suicidal Self-Injury Disclosure