Quick Facts: Exchange Programs

Exchange programs offer University of Guelph students the opportunity to take courses at a partner institution (the host institution) for a defined period of time and receive credit toward their undergraduate degree at the University of Guelph (their home institution). These programs operate under formal agreements between the University of Guelph and the host institution.

While registered at the host institution as part of an exchange program, University of Guelph students pay tuition fees at their home institution (the University of Guelph). Exchange students normally take regularly scheduled courses at the host institution and are subject to the policies and regulations of the host institution. At the end of the study period at the host institution, the student must ensure that their official academic record from the host institution is forwarded to the Centre for International Programs (CIP). The University of Guelph courses completed on exchange appear on the University of Guelph official transcript with generic subject titles and are assigned a Pass, Outstanding Pass, or Fail – numerical grades are not shown on the U of G transcript.

General information about Exchange Programs offered by the University of Guelph at the undergraduate degree program level is available in Section V—International Study of the current Undergraduate Calendar. Additional specific information about Exchange Programs offered by the University of Guelph is available through CIP (Level 3 University Centre SOUTH END).

In order to be considered for participation in an exchange program sanctioned by the University of Guelph students must formally apply to CIP and must have a minimum cumulative average of 68%. Detailed information about a specific exchange program, including the correct application form and the current application deadline date, is available from CIP.

Once a student is accepted for an exchange program they will be required to participate in a pre-departure orientation session and pay an administration fee. Courses to be taken on exchange must be requested using the Exchange Program Course Selection (EPCS) form prior to leaving for exchange. Once completed and signed by the student, the EPCS form must be submitted to the student’s Program Counsellor for a signature of approval. Once the form has been signed by the Program Counsellor it is submitted to CIP for the Education Abroad Advisor (EAA) to sign and submit to the Registrar’s Office. A student going on an exchange program pays full-time tuition fees to the University of Guelph regardless of the number of credits taken on exchange, unless they have a reduced course load approved by Student Accessibility Services.

Students looking for short-term study abroad options or programs during the summer should consider the other options offered through CIP. On a Summer Language Program students can study French, German, or Spanish at the beginner, intermediate, or advanced level. On a Summer Field School students will travel with a U of G professor and group of students for a few weeks in May/June and have the opportunity to combine in-class learning with visits to local sites, businesses, and attractions. There are also Research Abroad options where students will work with a research supervisor at one of our participating partner universities and earn U of G credit. If co-op students receive approval ahead of time, this research abroad can be used as a co-op placement. Learn more about each of these opportunities on the CIP website, Study Abroad Options.

Students who are interested in attending an institution abroad where a formal exchange agreement does not exist with the University of Guelph should consider the Letter of Permission process. For further information please see the UAIC QuickFact sheet for Letter of Permission.