Quick Facts: Letter of Permission

In order to take courses at another degree granting institution, have the course(s) considered as credit towards your University of Guelph degree, and be eligible to re-register at the University of Guelph you need to obtain a Letter of Permission before applying for admission to the other institution.


  1. Obtain a Request for Letter of Permission form (from the Enrolment Services Downloads, Forms & Documents site) and read the directions on the back of the form.
  2. Complete the Request for Letter of Permission form.
  3. Obtain the required signatures on the Request for Letter of Permission form.
  4. Obtain your Program Counsellor's signature of approval on the form.
  5. Submit the completed form to Enrolment Services, UC Level 3.
  6. A Letter of Permission will be sent to the host institution by Enrolment Services to inform them of your eligibility. You will also be mailed a copy of this Letter of Permission.
  7. Once you have received your copy of the letter you must apply to the visiting institution and meet that institution's deadlines for admission application, registration and fee payments.

Requirements and Limitations

Normally a minimum cumulative average of 60.00% and an academic standing of eligible to continue is required to be considered by the University of Guelph for a Letter of Permission. Normally students do not qualify for a Letter of Permission in the final semester of their degree program and, generally, students are permitted to take a maximum of 2.50 credits on Letter of Permission. In considering your request the specific courses will also be considered. Generally, if the course(s) that you are requesting to take is/are offered at Guelph (either in class or by distance education) then you may not be granted a Letter of Permission to take them elsewhere.


  1. You are required to complete the courses listed on the Letter of Permission during the semester(s) specified on the Letter of Permission.
  2. Any course changes must have the appropriate approvals from your program counsellor and must be verified by official documentation from the other institution. The University reserves the right to deny credit equivalency for courses taken without prior approval.
  3. Courses taken on Letter of Permission will not count as course attempts under the continuation of study regulations nor will the grades count in the semester average, the overall academic average, or your specialization average (as applicable). They will appear as CRD on your academic record.
  4. You are responsible for ensuring that the host institution forwards the official transcripts directly to the attention of the Academic Records Coordinator in Enrolment Services, Office of Registrarial Services. If the transcript is not received by the 20th class day of the semester following completion of the courses, a grade of 000 will be entered.
  5. Courses taken on a Letter of Permission do NOT appear on your official University of Guelph transcript. There will be, however, a notation on your official University of Guelph transcript that credit(s) has been granted for courses taken at another university.

The Letter of Permission policy is available in Section VIII--Undergraduate Degree Regulations and Procedures of the current Undergraduate Calendar.