Quick Facts: Internal Program Transfer

The Internal Program Transfer Application process is used by undergraduate students currently registered in one undergraduate degree program at the University of Guelph who wish to transfer to a different undergraduate degree program at the University of Guelph.

For example, a student who is currently registered in the Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree program but decides to pursue Wildlife Biology, a specialization (major) within the Bachelor of Science degree program, must submit a formal application for internal program transfer to the Bachelor of Science degree program. The Application for Internal Transfer form is available on-line through the Admission Services website and must be submitted according to published deadline dates. Deadline dates are available from Admission Services and in Section III--Schedule of Dates in the current Undergraduate Calendar. Students should note, however, that deadline dates associated with specific undergraduate degree programs may differ from one another (i.e. an application to B.L.A. may have a different deadline date than an application to B.A.). It should also be noted that some degree programs have a single point of entry and therefore only allow applications for admission to be considered one semester per academic year (normally the fall semester).

NOTE: Students changing specializations within their current degree program (i.e. a Major in History to a Major in English in the Bachelor of Arts program) should refer to the list of Program Information Questions in the FAQs Students section of the Undergraduate Academic Information Centre (UAIC) website at www.uoguelph.ca/uaic.

In most cases, previous degree-level academic work that has been successfully completed will be transferred upon admission to the new degree program. A student who is considering making an Application for Internal Transfer may wish to discuss the applicability of courses taken prior to admission to the new degree program with the Program Counsellor for the new degree program. If a student who has previously graduated with an undergraduate degree from the University of Guelph wishes to pursue a second, different undergraduate degree program s/he should note that a maximum of 10.00 credits may be applied, if applicable, toward the second degree.

Graduates of the two year Associate Diploma programs offered by the University of Guelph may also be considered for advanced standing admission into undergraduate degree programs. Admissibility and transfer credits are determined on a program by program basis. Associate Diploma graduates follow the same internal program transfer application process identified above for degree program students seeking an internal program transfer.

Admission counselling regarding the possibility of transfer from one undergraduate program to another is available through Admission Services, Office of Registrarial Services. To make an appointment with an Admissions Counsellor to discuss the possibility of transfer from one undergraduate degree program to another and/or the transfer application process a student can call (519) 824-4120 extension 58721 or visit Admission Services in the Office of Registrarial Services on level three of the University Centre. Additional information about the internal program transfer is available on the current Admissions website.

Students submitting an application for internal transfer should carefully note that possession of the minimum requirements does not in itself guarantee admission to any of the programs or specializations offered at the University of Guelph. For all programs for which the number of qualified applicants exceeds the quota, the University reserves the right to select the quota from among the qualified applicants. Admission to a program at the University of Guelph is not automatic.