U.S. Consumer Disclosure Information

The following list of links connects the student with the consumer information as required by the U.S. Department of Education.

Last updated June 26, 2023

Listing of Information Sources for Consumer Disclosure

Academic Programs

Acceptable Use Policy for Information Technology

Code of Conduct for Education Loans

The U.S. code of conduct stipulates that in order to prohibit a conflict of interest when it comes to private education loans, employees with responsibility for U.S. loans are prohibited from the following:

  • Making revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender;
  • Receiving gifts from a lender, a guarantor or a loan servicer;
  • Entering into arrangements providing financial benefit from any lender or affiliate of a lender;
  • Directing borrowers to particular lenders or refusing or delaying loan certifications; and
  • Offering funds for private loans.

All agents with responsibility for U.S. loans are reminded at least annually of the code.

Copyright Infringement Policies

For information on the University’s policy related to copyright, please refer to the Library’s copyright guidelines.

Cost of Attendance

For information regarding the cost of tuition, fees and mandatory health insurance, please refer to the Tuition & Compulsory Fees website.

For information on student housing costs, please refer to the Student Housing Services website. Meal plan information is available on the Hospitality Services website.

Visit the University of Guelph Bookstore website for information on textbook costs.

Additional information on the cost of attendance and budgeting for your expenses can be found on our Budgeting & Financial Literacy webpage.

Degree Regulations

Entrance Counselling for Student Loan Borrowers

Students who are first-time borrowers of U.S. Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized or Plus loans must complete Entrance Counselling.

Exit Counselling

Exit Counselling provides students with information about repayment plans. It is mandatory for all graduating students with subsidized, unsubsidized and PLUS loans.

It must be completed during the final term of studies and prior to graduation. If you withdraw from the University, you are obligated to fulfill this requirement.

Privacy of Student Records

Loan Calculation

Your eligible Direct Loan amount is calculated by the following formula:

The Cost of Attendance = (COA) - (EFC) - (EFA)

Cost of Attendance (COA) includes loans, books, supplies, living expenses, personal expenses and transportation costs for the 8- or 12-month period you will be in school.

Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is based on the student's (and if applicable, the student's family's) income and assets, as reported on the FAFSA form. The EFC is reported on the SAR and the Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR). It is based on an 8-month period of enrolment.

Estimated Financial Assistance (EFA) includes scholarships, grants, loans or work that is awarded on the basis of post-secondary enrolment.

Alternative/Private Loans are loans that provide supplemental funding above the Federal Direct Loans. Students must have a satisfactory credit history in order to qualify. Students may borrow up to their cost of attendance minus any financial aid that they receive for that year. Alternative loans have different interest rates, fees and repayment options than U.S. government loans. Sallie Mae offers the Private Smart Option Student Loan.

Notice of Federal Student Financial Aid Penalties for Drug Law Violations

Information on the penalties associated with drug-related offenses under the U.S. Higher Education Act can be found here on the U.S. Department of Education's website.

Refund Policy and Procedure

For information about the University’s refund procedure, please refer to the Refunds webpage.

Return of IV Financial Aid

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

School and Program Accreditation

Student Accessibility Services

Student Enrolment Reporting – National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

The University of Guelph reports student registration through NSLDS several times each academic year.

Student Financial Aid Information

For information regarding need-based and merit-based aid, please refer to our Scholarships and Student Aid website.

Student Loan Information Published by the U.S. Department of Education

Student loan information published by the U.S. Department of Education can be found on the student loans.gov website. The University will provide information published by the U.S. Department of Education to students at any time that information regarding loan availability is requested, including the rights and responsibilities of students and schools under Title IV loan programs.

Study Abroad and Exchange

Study Abroad students

Students participating in a Study Abroad Program are NOT eligible to receive subsidized/unsubsidized/PLUS through the University of Guelph. You will be paying your tuition fees to the other school (abroad). You must therefore make arrangements with that school (not Guelph) for financial aid.

Exchange students

U.S. students studying on an official University of Guelph exchange are considered to be Guelph students for subsidized/unsubsidized/PLUS loans. This means that:

  • you pay tuition and fees to the University of Guelph
  • you apply for U.S. loans following Guelph’s procedures

The U.S. Dept. of Education published final regulations which take effect July 1, 2021, which will allow U.S. students registered at a Title IV foreign school to access U.S. Direct Loans while attending U.S.-eligible colleges and universities and foreign institutions that do not participate in the U.S. Direct Loan program, for up to 25% of their program of study.

All other eligibility requirements must be met. List of eligible Title IV schools.

25% of program of study at a non-Title IV foreign* school or eligible US institution
Program Level Eligibility Information
  • 25% of program length, based on credits
  • Applies to exchanges
  • 25% of official program length, based on published program length, in years
  • Independent research done by a individual student in the U.S. for not more than one academic year is permitted, if conducted during the dissertation phase of a doctoral program under faculty guidance and the research is performed only in a U.S. facility.
  • May not stack the 25 percent allowance and once academic year allowed for dissertation research; doctoral students taking advantage of both provisions are limited to one year of study/research in the U.S.

*Definition of “foreign institution” available in 34 CFR 600.52

Transfer Credits and Withdrawals

Please refer to the Admission Services website for information on transfer credits. For information on withdrawals, please refer to your appropriate Academic Calendar, Section VIII.