T2202 & T4A

Social Insurance Number Requirement for T2202 Forms


Beginning with the 2019 income tax year, the T2202 form (formerly T2202A) will need to include the student’s Social Insurance Number (SIN); this was already a requirement for the T4A form. The University of Guelph, as the issuer of the T2202 and T4A forms, has a legislated obligation to ask for and report SINs on the forms. For this reason, students are required to submit their SIN to the University of Guelph through WebAdvisor. WebAdvisor is a secure site.

Read more about the T2202 form on the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website. The CRA website also provides information about Social Insurance Number legislation that relates to the preparation of information slips.

Why do I need to provide my Social Insurance Number to U of G? It's for income tax purposes. Click for more information from the Canada Revenue Agency
Social Insurance Numbers can be submitted securely on WebAdvisor.

To submit your SIN, log in to WebAdvisor. On the right-hand side of your screen, under "Financial Profile", click on "SIN Entry/Status." Enter your SIN and click "Submit." For assistance with WebAdvisor, watch the video tutorial.

T2202: The tuition tax credit allows you to reduce any income tax you may owe. The Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (T2202) for the previous tax year will be available in late February and can be accessed by logging into the T2202 section of WebAdvisor for Students, listed under Financial Profile. You must select the appropriate year; the tax years will display only for the years that there is actual information available. No certificate is produced if total eligible fees are less than $100 for the tax year. The PDF report will appear on the screen for printing. The University will not issue paper copies of the form.

The T2202 form will only be accessible if you still have WebAdvisor access. This access is available for approximately one year after graduation or last registration. If you no longer have access to WebAdvisor, you must request T2202 forms from Enrolment Services. You can make this request in person at Enrolment Services (University Centre, Level 3), by email to es@uoguelph.ca, or by mail to Enrolment Services, UC Level 3, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, N1G 2W1. The request must include your name, ID number, the year required, and your signature (a scanned signature for requests by email). For further information, please call (519) 824-4120 ext. 58731 or email es@uoguelph.ca.

Please note that the federal education and textbook tax credits were eliminated effective January 1, 2017. You will still be able to carry forward unused education and textbook credit amounts from years prior to 2017. The tuition tax credit was not eliminated.

The CRA offers a brochure about Students and Income Tax.

T4A: A Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income (T4A) is provided by the University to students who have received awards, including scholarships and bursaries, in the previous tax year. These slips are mailed to students in late February each year. For more information, please contact Human Resources by phone at (519) 824-4120 ext. 53374 or by email at hr@uoguelph.ca.

Transit/Bus Pass: You may print a receipt for tax purposes for the bus pass fee included in your student fees from your WebAdvisor account. The public transit tax credit was eliminated as of July 1, 2017. It can still be claimed on your 2017 tax return for the period of January 1, 2017 to June 30, 2017.

Residence fees paid: Please see information on the Housing website.

Students who are residents of Quebec: The RL-8 slip is a tax form of the Ministère du Revenu du Québec and is intended only for Quebec residents. Please visit or email the Student Accounts Office to request your RL-8 form.

US students: US students can use the T2202 to file their US tax return, the University does not issue 1098T tax receipts.

International students: T2202 information is provided to all students to enable them to complete their Canadian tax returns. Contact a tax professional to determine whether you need to file a Canadian tax return and/or a tax return in your country of origin.