Introductory Arabic I F18 (ARAB*1100)
Code and section: ARAB*1100*01
Term: Fall 2018
This course provides an introduction to Arabic script, articulation of the sounds, basic grammar, and is designed to enable students to begin communicating in Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). Although a diversity of dialects exists throughout the Arab world, MSA is considered the most common denominator across the region.
By the end of this course, successful students will be able to:
1. Write and identify Arabic letters and words
2. Read short texts
3. Use a short list of vocabulary
4. Ask and respond to questions
5. Participate in short discussions
6. Have a basic knowledge of Modern Standard Arabic (MSA)
7. Acquire knowledge of the cultures of the Arab world.
Arabic speakers are not permitted to register for this class.
Method of presentation:
Lectures, dialogues and oral production, reading aloud and reading comprehension activities, listening comprehension activities.