Introductory Chinese II W18 (CHIN*1210)
Code and section: CHIN*1210*01
Term: Winter 2018
This course is a continuation of the Introductory Chinese I. With the completion of the study of the rudiments focused on phonetics (as provided in CHIN*1200), the course shifts to more comprehensive language skills training.
- Master various types of sentence structures and 500 words.
- Have the preliminary ability to speak Chinese and write composition in Chinese characters.
- Have the basic strategy of Chinese learning and relevant knowledge of Chinese culture.
Students with native or near-native ability in Chinese will not be admitted to this course
- New Practical Chinese Reader Textbook Vol. 1 新实用汉语课本
- New Practical Chinese Reader Workbook Vol. 1 练习册
- Two CD sets for the Textbook and Workbook respectively
Method of presentation:
- The course will teach only the essential and ensure plenty of practice.
- Active student participation is vitally important to a successful experience of learning the language.
- After-class completion of exercises in the workbook and memorization of characters from the textbook are essential to achieving the learning outcomes.
- Class performance (active participation) 20%
- Assignments (in the Workbook) 20%
- Quizzes (for every lesson) 20%
- Final exam (oral and written including listening) 40%