Latin American Identity & Culture II (LACS*6020 )
Code and section: LACS*6020 *01
Term: Winter 2017
This course is the second part of the two required courses on Latin American Identity and Culture. By the end of this course a successful student will be able
• To discuss theory of Community and apply theoretical concepts to literature and art
• To understand the difference between the official history and collective memory
• To evaluate the importance of collective memory for subaltern groups
• To assess the importance of collective memory and orality in community building
• To ask important questions and research answers for these questions which are to be presented orally in an organized and interesting fashion
• To develop an informed argument around a single thesis statement
• To select appropriate methodologies in conducting research and in writing essays
• Critically reflect on the relationship between the individual and the community, and the need for a dialogical in the creat of heterogeneous community.
Method of Presentation:
Interactive multi-media seminars will combine lectures, student presentations, and general discussion.