March 2021 Wellness Calendar
Winter, and the cold and darkness that comes with it, can be difficult for many people. Winter during a pandemic provides additional challenges, such as sadness, nostalgia about life before COVID-19, uncertainty, and fear of loss, illness, and medical facilities. If you find you are experiencing changes in your mood, you are not alone.
University Wellness Supports
Supports are available from your Employee and Family Assistance Program and benefits plans if you, or an immediate family member, are in need to confidential, professional counselling for personal, family, relationship, and wellness issues. You can also explore the COVID-19 Wellness Resources web page for a comprehensive listing of available wellness supports.
Did you know your Employee and Family Assistance Program also provides Life Smart Coaching? The program provides parenting, elder and family care support, relationship solutions, financial coaching, legal and advisory services, and support for grief and loss. Health Coaching is available for smoking cessation, nutrition and jump starting your wellness. Career coaching, pre-retirement planning and shift worker support is also available. One call is all it takes to get started. Call 1-800-663-1142 and/or create an account at homeweb.ca to access these resources.
Missed the U of G, Let’s Talk event? A recording and resources from psychological health and safety expert Dr. Joti Samra are now available.
Upcoming Wellness Opportunities
Wellness@Work provides wellness opportunities each month for you to connect with colleagues, learn new skills, and enhance your overall well-being.
March is Nutrition Month
Cool weather usually means more comfort food. While it may be enjoyable, some people find that it can lead to lower energy and be harmful to their physical and mental health. Here are some ways to cope:
- The Paint Your Plate with Vegetables and Fruit challenge recognizes the importance of regularly eating a variety of fruits and vegetables. Throughout the month, complete four mini-challenges and submit your completed tracking form to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to win a dinner for your immediate household from Hospitality Services.
- March 25 – 12-1 pm and On Demand - The Paint Your Plate: Gryphon Power Bowl and Guelphie Smoothie interactive cooking workshop is a great way to connect with your colleagues and learn to create some delicious recipes with Hospitality Services’ own, chef Vijay Nair. The first 25 participants that register and live in the Guelph, Puslinch and Rockwood areas will have a box of ingredients to create their own Gryphon Power Bowl delivered to their home before the workshop.
- Consult with a nutritionist through Homewood Health’s Life Smart Coaching Program, available through your Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- Learn to cook like a chef by viewing virtual cooking demos. You can also find some of your favourite Hospitality Services recipes online to make at home.
Move Your Body
More time indoors due to weather and COVID-19 restrictions can decrease regular exercise. This can lead to mood changes. Here are some ways to start increasing your activity level:
- Join Athletics’ March Madness Mileage Challenge. Schedule regular movement breaks to get more active.
- Move as a virtual group by joining the Wellness Education Centre’s virtual, 10 minute Mood Moves stretch and movement breaks every Wednesday.
- Attend an event offered by the U of G Yoga and Meditation Collective. Check out their exciting 2021 speaker series to learn and discuss important topics in yoga.
Other Wellness Opportunities
- March 10 –An Introduction to Health and Safety Lunch and Learn (recording will be available)
- March 12 – Respectful Relationships in the Workplace Session
- March 24 – COVID-19: What’s New with Dr. Andrew Papadopoulos (recording with be available)
- March 22 – 26 – Winter House Calls Program. Volunteer to provide virtual support, resources, and warm referrals to first year students living in residence and off-campus through brief phone calls. Register by March 5.
- March 26 – Improving Workplace Communication
EXHALE & ENJOY: Employee Appreciation Day Event - A live performance with Dan Mangan
U of G faculty and staff are invited to sit back, relax, and enjoy a live virtual performance from Dan Mangan, a two-time JUNO award winning Canadian musician. Tune-in on Friday March 5, 2021 from 3:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Invite others in your household to watch along with you and enjoy this opportunity to connect and take a break from your busy day.
GREAT at U of G
Don’t forget to submit your nominations for the February “G” Thanks! Kudoboard to show your appreciation or recognition for a colleague, team, or leader. Each nominee will be entered into a draw for the monthly prize box!