The University of Guelph provides a wide range of employee benefit programs to offer support to our employees and to enhance the working environment. The benefit programs provided can help you with healthcare and dental expenses for you and your family; provide income replacement should you become disabled and unable to work; provide you with counselling services; and offer financial assistance to your family in the event of your death. The information provided here is to help keep you well informed and enable you to take full advantage of the benefit programs available to you. The information describes the principle features of the group benefit plans but does not replace the formal benefit agreements and policies in place.
Please click on the links below and in the menu on the right to explore the exceptional benefit programs available to you.
Group Benefit Plan
Group Insurance Benefit Booklet - This booklet summarizes your coverage under the University of Guelph group insurance benefit plans insured by Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada (Sun Life) as of September 1, 2008. This booklet does not contain all of the plan provisions. Other conditions or limitations may apply which may affect eligibility for benefits. Additional details are in the insurance contracts, which will govern if there is a question of interpretation of information. The insurer, Sun Life, determines what is considered to be a reasonable and customary expense in accordance with the insurance policy and common practices.
Coordination of Benefits - Many people have coverage under more than one benefit plan – for example, their own plan plus their spouse’s plan or a plan offered through their professional association. If this is your situation, you can use both plans when claiming expenses. This is called coordinating your benefits, and it’s a great way to cover more of your costs.
Your Travel Benefit - A medical emergency while travelling can be a frightening and costly experience. But with your Sun Life Financial group benefits plan you’ll have the protection you need and you’ll have access to the expertise of our emergency travel assistance partner – Allianz Global Assistance 24 hours a day if you suffer an illness or injury while away from home.
Extended Health Claim Form - Use this form for all medical expenses and services. For dental expenses, please use the Dental Claim Form.
Dental Claim Form – Use this form for all dental expenses.
If you have questions regarding your health and dental claims, please direct contact Sun Life and refer to our policy #82010. You can contact Sun Life by email or by phone 1-800-361-6212.
Other Helpful Information
- Coordination of Benefits Claims Adjudication Change
- Group Benefits Premium Rates May 2017
- My Sun Life Mobile - Fast and easy access, wherever you go
- Understanding Your Child's Health & Dental Coverage while they study outside of the province
- Upgrades to Sun Life software means greater convenience
- Pharmacy Dispensing Fee Survey (2017)
- Update on Acupuncture in Ontario - Update on Acupuncture Practice in Ontario and employee Sun Life Coverage (June 2013)
- Acupuncture practice in Ontario - Update from Sun Life on regulations relating to acupuncture practice and the impact on coverage for service from acupuncturists (March 2013)
- Eyewear and hearing aids/devices discounts for members of the University of Guelph plan are available through Preferred Vision and Hearing Services
- Understanding orthotics and orthopaedic shoes - If you have a prescription for custom-made orthotics or custom-made shoes, this guide should help walk you through your purchase. Asking questions and staying informed throughout the process will help ensure that your orthotics or shoes meet your needs.
- Ministry of Health and Long Term Care website
- Changes regarding eligibilty of osteopathic providers - Posted August 2017
- Delisted Provider Update September 2017 - Posted September 2017
- Coverage for Continuous Glucose Monitors - Posted October 2017
This site has been designed to acquaint you with the general features of the University of Guelph’s benefit plans. Although every attempt has been made to summarize these programs accurately, the summary information provided on this site does not create any contractual or other legal rights. Your rights to any of the benefits described in this site shall at all times be governed by the provisions of the official plan documentation, as amended from time to time. To the extent of any inconsistency between the summary information provided in this site and the official plan documentation, the latter shall prevail.