New to U of G
Welcome to the University of Guelph!
As you become familiar with our university, you will find it’s a vibrant, inspiring and innovative community. Great scholars, staff and students from throughout the world live and work together on a friendly and safe campus creating a special community that supports diversity, innovation, and creativity. We hope that your employment here will be successful, rewarding, and enjoyable
As a University of Guelph community member, you are an integral part of our dynamic organization. Our goal is to ensure that you are able to quickly get answers to the many questions you may have during your first few weeks at the University. Working together, we want to provide an easy transition into your new work environment.
Resources that will help you make a smooth transition into your new role include:
- Parking Services - Parking permits are required to park on campus. Parking permits can be purchased online.
- Campus Map - The Campus map allows you to search for a location on campus by selecting a building or selecting a department name.
- Identification (ID) card - Please visit Human Resources, 5th floor, South Tower, University Centre, to complete an ID application form. Your University of Guelph ID card provides access to a wide-variety of services and benefits available on all U of G campus sites.
- Central Login Account - As a staff member, you may require a central login account which gives you access to services such as Gryph Mail and software downloads.
- Benefits Sign-up - The University of Guelph offers a defined benefit pension plan to all regular fulltime employees, with access for temporary fulltime and part time employees based on eligibility criteria. Please contact your Human Resources Service Associate to find out which benefits you are eligible for and to enroll in group benefits.
- Pay - University employees are paid on a biweekly basis through direct deposit. Hourly paid employees who report regular hours are paid one week in arrears; all others are paid to date.
Human Resources will help to support your transition, please call us at extension 53374 for further assistance.
Services and Discounts
The University of Guelph proudly offers many resources, benefits, services and programs that promote a healthier University of Guelph, and we encourage you to learn more about and take advantage of those that meet your needs.
- Arboretum - The Arboretum offers a series of trails for pleasant lunchtime strolls or study of the fabulous diversity in plants.
- Campus Community Police - The Campus Community Police are committed to enhancing the safety of students, staff, faculty and visitors to the University of Guelph.
- Child Care and Learning Centre - The Child Care and Learning Centre has been providing care and education for young children since 1990.
- Computing and Communications Services (CCS) - Computing and Communications Services (CCS) provides a wide range of IT and communications services and support to the University of Guelph community including on campus network and internet connectivity, email, phones, and software downloads.
- Department of Athletics - Staff and faculty can purchase Athletic memberships and participate in fitness programs at the Athletic facility.
- Hospitality Services Express Plus Account - Hospitality Services manages numerous dining facilities and retail shops on campus. Faculty and Staff can save on purchases through the Express Plus Account.
- Human Resources (HR) - Human Resources supports the University’s commitment to excellence in teaching, research and community service through the provision of quality HR programs and resources.
- Human Rights and Equity Office - The role of the Human Rights and Equity Office is to help maintain an environment within which all persons, regardless of their personal characteristics, feel that they are treated with dignity and respect.
- Library - On a busy day more than 12,000 people use the McLaughlin Library, and more than 1 million visit annually. University of Guelph staff have borrowing privileges at the Library. Your University of Guelph ID card is your library card.
- Occupational Health and Wellness - Occupational Health and Wellness integrates health promotion and disease prevention strategies to support a culture of health and well-being within the University community. Staff can participate in various wellness programs such as the Better ‘U’ lunch program which includes leisure walks, a free learn to run program and lunchtime running group.
- Parking Services - Parking Services manage the multi-facility parking system for the University of Guelph community and its visitors.
- Total Compensation - As part of Human Resources, the Total Compensation team provides payroll, group benefits and pension administration to the University community.
- University of Guelph Bookstore - Books, University of Guelph clothing, stationery, and gifts are available at the Bookstore.