Experiential Learning: Mapping L.M. Montgomery’s Norval (HIST*3560)
Code and section: HIST*3560*02
Term: Winter 2020
Instructor: Kesia Kvill
Your particular project for this section working with the Halton Hills Heritage Society and the LM Montgomery Museum. L.M. Montgomery is one of Canada’s most famous authors, the writer of the Anne of Green Gables series as well as other fiction for young people and adults. Students will work together to create content for an online interactive map that features sites and people present during Lucy Maud Montgomery’s time in Norval, ON (1926-1935). In-class learning will be focused on practical skills related to archival research, digital history, and writing for a public audience. Students will perform scholarly research that will be used to create the final website content. You will acquire new knowledge, skills and concrete experience that will improve your employability, interpersonal skills, and transition to the workplace while contributing to a public body of knowledge.
Upon successful completion of this course, student will have learned to:
- Develop hands-on archival research skills
- Engage with digital and public history through project creation
- Work with community partners to complete a project
- Engage with place-based local history, biography, and writing for a public audience
- Apply and develop their program-based historical knowledge.
- Develop professional skills applicable to the workplace.
- Critically reflect upon their own work and performance
- Communicate effectively with fellow team members, course instructor and community partner.
Method of Evaluation and Weights:
Participation - 25%
Critical Reflection 1 - 10%
Archival Assignment - 10%
Research Paper - 20%
Draft Website Content - 5%
Presentation of Content - 5%
Final Website Content - 15%
Critical Reflection 2 - 10%
*Please note: This is a preliminary website description only. The department reserves the right to change without notice any information in this description. The final, binding course outline will be distributed in the first class of the semester.
|HIST 3560 02 Course Outline Kvill W20.pdf||162.27 KB|