Alumni Gateway Seminars
Each semester the History Department invites some of our recent graduates back to campus to talk about their careers.
Our Fall 2017 Gateway Seminar is set for October 26, 2017 from 5:30 - 7:00 (Room TBA). Renamed "Careers for History Students", this seminar will feature Sara Nixon (BA 2013/MA 2015) public historian and public programmer at St. Catharine's Museum and curator of the Grimsby Timescapes Project; Melissa Al-Jaishi (Segeren)(MA, MLIS 2012, 2014) archivist at Sotheby's high-end car auction outside of London; and Brooke Anderson (BA 2011) account supervisor at High Road, helping the world's biggest brands tell better stories.
Our Fall 2016 Gateway Seminar, 27 October, featured Monica Finlay (MA 2011) researcher and analyst for Edelman, the world's largest communication-marketing company; Graham Shular (BAH 2012) occasional teacher in the Thames Valley District School Board; and Robbie Berardi (BAH 2012) teacher/interpreter specialising in blacksmithing at the Waterloo Region Museum. All speakers expressed how valuable a History degree is since research and communication skills are easily transferrable to a variety of fulfilling careers. Photo: Graham Shular & Robbie Berardi
Our Winter 2016 Gateway Seminar featured Sonja Missio (BAH, History’08), a Prospect Researcher and Information Officer at North York General Foundation, and Samuel Sharp (BAH, History'12, MA History'15), a Historical Interpreter at the Gibson House Museum and a Program Instructor at Colborne Lodge Museum, Toronto.
Our Winter 2015 Gateway Seminar featured two recent graduates of our program: Joe Cull (BA '12), who is an archaeologist working in the Toronto area after earning an Archaeology M.A. at University College Dublin, and Lauren Katsuno, who is a teacher in Guelph.
Fall 2014: History Education, Diverse Careers
Barb Legault (BA '04, MA '07) and Eamon O'Flynn (BA '08) share their experiences putting their Guelph degrees to work by pursuing higher degrees at University of Toronto and Western University, and using their training in History to land positions at the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport for Barb, and at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics for Eamon.
Fall 2013: A Life in Foreign Affairs, featuring Brett Thompson
Brett (BA '07) shares his experience as a History graduate navigating the world of graduate school, internships, and the workforce as a policy analyst at the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development in Ottawa. Brett will discuss how his Guelph History degree has shaped his career.
What our alumni say...
Dr. Kris Gies (PhD '10) is a marketing and sales specialist at University of Toronto Press. In November, 2013 he published a piece in University Affairs on alternative careers for PhD's.
Dr. Jason Wilson (PhD '13) is a historian of Canadian music. The Globe and Mail recently interviewed him about his work, musical and historical: "Toronto’s reggae roots are explored this weekend with Harbourfront’s Island Soul festivities and the Irie Music Festival (with a ceremonial opening at Nathan Phillips Square on Friday with appearances by acts from the Queen Street West reggae scene in the 1970s and ’80s). We spoke with Juno-nominated reggae-jazz keyboardist and historian Jason Wilson about the city’s Jamaican dance music past." Read the interview at the Globe and Mail
A few of our graduates, making their mark all over the world...
> journalism / film / publishing / public relations
- Andrew Webb (MA '15) - Creator of the Employed Historian and the owner of Webb Content.
- Jessica Clarke (BA '08) - producer, writer, on-air presenter, TV Cogeco, Milton/Halton Mills
- Bradley Crawford (MA ‘11) - National Post
- Joey Czikk (BA '09) - media startup BetaKit
- Josh Dehaas (BA ‘08) - Maclean’s Magazine
- Dr. Kris Gies (PhD '10) - sales & marketing, Univ. of Toronto Press
- Christian Grafen (BA '11) - account executive, Rouge Media Group, Toronto
- Monica Finlay (MA '11) - account manager, Edelman Toronto Public Relations
- Emmanuel Hogg (BA, MA '08) - Executive Director, Les Publications des Histoire sociale/Social History, Carleton University
- Eamon O'Flynn (BA' 08) - External Relations Specialist, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Waterloo, ON
- Will Pascoe (BA ‘93) - freelance filmmaker
- Megan Pickard (MA '10) - editorial assistant, Univ. of Toronto Press
> libraries / museums / archives
- Kiah Berkeley (BA '08) - educational outreach, Smithsonian Institution, 2009-2012
- Cara Patterson (BA '11) - program specialist, Museum Services, City of Toronto
- Ned Struthers (MA '10) - archives manager, Mattamy Homes, Oakville, ON
- Laura Thorne (BA '11) - learning services librarian, Univ. of British Columbia
- Dr. Jason Wilson (PhD '13) - Juno nominee, musician, historian
> post-secondary / higher education
- Dr. Edmund Abaka (MA ‘91) - University of Miami at Coral Gables
- Dr. Kim Anderson (PhD ‘10) - Wilfrid Laurier University, Brantford
- Dr. Tolly Bradford (BA ‘99) - Concordia University College of Alberta
- Dr. Susannah Bunce (BA '94) - Assistant Professor, Department of Human Geography, University of Toronto Scarborough
- Dr. Cynthia Comacchio (PhD ‘87) - Wilfrid Laurier University
- Dr. Katie McCullough (PhD '12) - Centre for Scottish Studies, Director / History faculty
- Dr. Rob Falconer (PhD ‘05) - Grant McEwan University
- Dr. James Fraser (MA '99) - University of Guelph, Scottish Studies Foundation Chair
- Dr. Amoaba Gooden (BA ‘92, MA ‘94) - Kent State University
- Dr. Gordon Hak (MA ‘81) - Vancouver Island University
- Dr. Ben Hoy (BA '08) - University of Sasketchewan, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Leslie James (BA '03) - University of Cambridge / University of Birmingham Leverhulme Fellow
- Dr. Holly Karibo (BA) - Tarleton State University, Texas
- Dr. Beverly Lemire (BA ‘79, MA ‘81) - University of Alberta
- Dr. Josh Macfadyen (PhD '10) - Assistant Professor (joint appointment) School of Historical, Philosophical and Religious Studies & School of Sustainability, Arizona State University
- Dr. Scott McLean (PhD '98) - founding director, ExploreHistoryLtd.
- Dr. Scott Moir (PhD '03) - Cape Breton University
- Dr. Elizabeth Ritchie (PhD ‘09) - University of the Highlands & Islands, Scotland
- Dr. Cathryn Spence (MA '06) - University of Vancouver Island, Nanaimo, BC
- Dr. Jerome Teelucksingh (MA ) - University of the West Indies
- Dr. John Walsh (PhD) - Carleton University
- Dr. Catharine Wilson (BA '82) - University of Guelph
> business / private sector
- Margaret Bennett (BA '06) - Financial Security Advisor, Freedom 55 Financial
- Matt Cecchini (BA '07) - Residential Appraiser, Northern Ontario Appraisals Ltd.
- Joe Cull (BA '12) - Researcher & Archaeologist, Stantec (Environmental Services)
- Anthony Kocsis (MA) - Dollarama, Senior Director, H.R., Montreal
- Ian McPhedran (MA '05) - owner, Extra Butter Coffee, Toronto
- Jordan Porter (BA '08) - client manager, Cinefidès, Chengdu, China
- Richelle Roth (BA '09) - Scotiabank, Analyst - Learning Programs
- S. Christie Whyte (BA '11) - project manager assistant, Leda Restoration
> civil service / higher education administration
- Niki Borics (BA '08) - Human Resources, City of Guelph
- Denny Brett (BA '13) - Business Integration Coordinator, Government of Alberta
- Dr. Paul Dickson (PhD '93) - Strategic Analyst, Centre for Operational Research and Analysis, Air Force Directorate of Air Strategic Plans, Department of National Defence
- Christi Garneau (BA ‘09) - Board and Council Operations Manager / Associate Secretary of the Board of Trustees, Queen's University
- Erin Grant (MA '09) - Researcher, BC Ministers of Advanced Education & Jobs Tourism, and Skills Training
- Barb LeGault (BA '04, MA '07) - Policy Advisor, Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport
- Jennifer Slater (BA ‘09) - Records & Information, City of Guelph
- Graham Shular (BA '12) - Cultural Assistant, Univ. of Toronto Continuing Education
- Brett Thompson (BA ‘07) - Foreign Affairs, Trade & Development Canada
- Cameron Klapwyk (BA '09, MA '12) - Career Development Practitioner student - Conestoga College, previously Communications Coordinator at Prison Fellowship Canada
- Nicholas Miniaci (BA '13) - research and policy analyst, Egale Canada Human Rights Trust
> law / justice
- Jessica Collins Pecore (MA ‘06) - Arbonne Independent Consultant for Corrections Canada
- Courtney Harris (MA) - Council for Ministry of Attorney General, Toronto, ON
- Chris Los (MA '10) - Osgoode Hall Law School of York University
- Christy Nurse (BA '06) - Olympic Silver Medalist and current law student
- Hon. Donald Rennie (BA ‘75) - Judge, Federal Court
> pursuing advanced degrees
- Kiah Berkeley (BA ‘08) - Ryerson University, Masters of Journalism
- Wade Cormack (MA ‘13) - University of the Highlands & Islands, Scotland, PhD, History
- Nicole Drisdelle (MA ‘10) - University of Iowa, PhD, History
- Allegra Fryxell (BA ‘11) - Cambridge University, PhD History
- Erin Grant (BA '07, MA ‘09) - University of Otago, New Zealand, PhD, History
- Jenna Healey (BA ‘09) - Yale University, PhD History
- Stephanie Hodge (BA '12) - Queens University, J.D. candidate
- Sam McLean (BA ‘07) - King's College, London, PhD History
- Bethany Philpott (BA '12, MA '13) - McMaster University, MD
- Ryan Scheiding (BA '10) - Concordia University, PhD candidate