Performance Auditions - Instructions
Applied Music instruction (lessons) are available to students through a sequence of courses, beginning with MUSC*1500 Applied Music I. Entry into Applied Music requires the successful completion of an audition. Please review the steps below for the online audition submission process. The deadline for Fall 2019 entry is July 15, 2019.
Interested in studying Music this Fall? Please contact the Applied Music Coordinator, Dr. Alyssa Woods, firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions you have..
Step 1: Review Your Eligibility
- MUSC*1500 - Applied Music instruction (individual lessons) is available by audition only.
- Applied Music is available to students in a Music specialization (Major, Minor, Area of Concentration), in semesters 1-4 excluding; honours Music Majors, who may audition for registration in MUSC*1500 at any time in their studies.
- Only students who are registered in a Music program at the time of admission will be considered for placement in Applied Music (lessons).
- Applied courses are designed to be taken during successive Fall and Winter terms.
- You may be required to re-audition if there is a break in studies.
- To progress in Applied Music courses, you must achieve a minimum grade of 70%.
Step 2: Begin Your Application
- Your application includes the submission of the application form and your audition video.
- Applications for Applied Music are submitted through the SlideRoom portal.
- You can begin an application, save changes and make edits up until application submission.
- SlideRoom charges $6 USD at the time of submission.
- Early submission is recommended, to provide ample time to complete the sight reading (if required).
- Auditions are open until July 15, 2019.
Step 3: Audition Video
- Please submit your (maximum) 15-minute video, with clear audio, under the specified link.
- Videos must be a continuous take, with live accompaniment as appropriate.
- Videos need to conform to the posted requirements for your instrument.
- Acceptable video formats include: .m4v, .mov, .mp4, .wmv, .flv, .asf, .mpeg, .mpg, and .mkv.
- Slideroom permits a maximum file size of 500mb. For larger file sizes you can upload your video to Youtube or Vimeo.
- Students are recommended to submit their application well in advance of the July 15, 2019 deadline to allow time for the submission of the sight reading (if required).
Step 4: Complete the Sight Reading (if required)
- Following successful completion of the SlideRoom audition, students in piano, voice and orchestral instruments will be provided with a sight-reading sample.
- Submission is required by July 15, 2019.
- You did it!
- Results will be emailed to your Gryph-mail (@uoguelph.ca). Future students who have yet to receive their gryph-mail, will receive results to their provided email.
- Successful auditions will receive additional information regarding placement.
Please contact the Applied Music Coordinator - Dr. Alyssa Woods, email@example.com