2020 OAC Alumni Association Golf Tournament - Alternate format
Date and Time
It is with great sadness that the OAC Alumni Association announces the cancellation of the traditional format of the 2020 OAC Alumni Association golf tournament due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
We hope for a bigger and better turn out in 2021! But in the meantime, read below for how you can still show Aggie Spirit!
Alternate Format for 2020
The annual golf tournament is an incredible opportunity to catch-up with peers and for many, it is the one time each year that their foursome gets together. This is why we encourage everyone to get out on a course of their choosing with a foursome of alumni friends between August 28th and September 14th. Take a picture (socially distanced of course) and to share it on social media using #OACGolf2020 or send a picture to email@example.com and we will share it for you!
Haven't been golfing yet this season?
Here are some helpful tips shared by Cameron Shaw, Communications and Outreach Coordinator for the Guelph Turfgrass Institute and avid golfer!
- Review this checklist for playing golf safely.
- Book your tee time online and well in advance! Many courses are experiencing record high play volumes and many tee sheets are booked solid 5-10 days in advance. Most places are still not accepting walk ons.
- Be sure to read the course's website thoroughly to understand their unique rules and safety procedures during COVID. Every course is different and many will have statements posted regarding arrival protocols, range use, group sizes, facility access, payment and other important details. If you are the planner, advise our group members to read these rules as well and sending them the appropriate links.
- Bring your own sunscreen, hand sanitizer and wipes. If you are touching surfaces like door knobs, carts, or a beer, it is a good idea to wipe them down before and after use.
- Prior to teeing off, come up with a safe way of acknowledging a good shot with your group. It is easy to forget about social distancing in a moment of excitement and go in for a handshake or pat on the back. Clapping is a good way to compliment someone.
- When the round is over, remove your hat and provide a pleasant "great round" and/or "thank you". Handshakes are off the table!
- Thank the staff at the club before and after your round. Many of them have gone to great lengths to get their courses open and in good condition for your enjoyment. If you enjoyed the day, let them know.
- Important: It is actually very difficult to take a group photo and maintain good social distancing. You may need to set your phone down, set the timer and back up using your clubs and outstretched arms to keep a safe distance between each other.
Wishing you strong health and the OAC Alumni Association look forward to seeing pictures on the course. See you at the 2021 tournament! Happy golfing!