Capacity Development & Extension (MSc)

Three students work collaboratively on an assignment.

The Master of Science in Capacity Development and Extension is a unique program in Canada that develops the core competencies of students for facilitating social and environmental change.

The program focuses on processes of learning, advocacy, leadership, communication and capacity development for rural/remote and small communities in Canada and around the world. Students will engage with society through service learning projects during their course work, and through applied research and a range of professional development activities.

This program is offered through the School of Environmental Design and Rural Development (SEDRD). More details on this program are available through SEDRD's Capacity Development webpage.

Application Information

Entry into the Capacity Development and Extension (CDE) program is in the Fall semester of each year only. Deadline for submission of applications is March 31st of each year.

How to Apply

Find Out More

Here's a compiled list of helpful links about graduate school at the University of Guelph: 

Contact Us

Patricia Van Asten
Graduate Program Assistant
519-824-4120, Ext. 56780

Food science students working in a lab.

Learn more about related programs: 

Capacity Development & Extension (MSc)


Students sitting at a table working on a project.

Learn more about related programs: 

Landscape Architecture (MLA)