The William James Society has awarded its 2017 Young Scholar Prize to Kyle Bromhall for his essay, "Embodied Akrasia: James on Motivation and Weakness of Will.". Kyle is a recent graduate of the PhD program in Philosophy at the University of Guelph, where he currently teaches.
Mary King, one of our MA students, has been selected as a winner of the Eden Mills Writing Festival "Read at the Fringe" contest. Congratulations, Mary!
Our Professor John Russon has been awarded a Shastri Institutional Collaborative Research Grant (SICRG) for the project “The Ethics of Teaching in Pluralistic and Unequal Societies” in collaboration with Professor Siby K. George from the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. This two year grant is supported by funds from Ministry of Human Resource and Development (MHRD), government of India. Congratulations, John!
Our Sessional Instructor Natalie Evans discusses her recently published book Animal Ethics and the Autonomous Animal Self (Palgrave Macmillan) in a recent article in U of G news. Congratulations Natalie!
Congratulations to Professor Karyn Freedman of Philosophy, whose book, One Hour in Paris, has been longlisted for CBC's Canada Reads competition. The winner for 2016 was Professor Lawrence Hill of SETS with his book, The Illegal. The final five will be announced January 31, 2017. Find more information here: http://www.cbc.ca/books/2016/12/the-canada-reads-2017-longlist.html
Professor Karyn Freedman writes on the Huffington Post Blog about implicit misogyny.
Our Associate Professor Stefan Linquist is principal investigator on a new SSHRC Insight Grant. Congratulations, Stefan!
The use and abuse of function concepts in genomics
SSHRC Insight Grant: $85,279.
It might come as a surprise that only a small fraction of the DNA in our cells (less than 2%) encodes the various proteins that build our hair cells, bone cells, neurons, and all other human cell types. This raises the question of what, if anything, the remaining 98% is doing?
Two recently-announced research grants include our own Associate Professor Maya Goldenberg. Congratulations, Maya!
Across the Great Divide: Challenging the Qualitative-Quantitative Paradigmatic Gap
SSHRC Insight Development Grant, $58,000 , 2016-2018
Primary Investigator: Dr. Janet Parsons, Applied Health Research Centre, St. Michael's Hospital
Our recent PhD graduate, Martin King, has just (June 2016) been awarded a three-year postdoc as part of the “Epistemology of the Large Hadron Collider” project at the University of Wuppertal. Congratulations Martin!