Fire Emergencies Policy
To outline procedures for fire emergencies.
- The telephone number of the local Emergency Services shall be conspicuously posted in the workplace.
- All fire emergencies must be reported to the local Emergency Services.
- Departments shall make provisions for the emergency evacuation of persons with disabilities.
In case of fire:
Assess the situation; use one fire extinguisher to attempt fire suppression. If you need help,
- Activate the nearest wall mounted fire alarm.
- Evacuate the building.
- Do not use an elevator.
- Report the emergency.
- Report to the attending Fire Officers.
In case of fire alarm:
Evacuate the building (even if alarm is suspected of being false).
Do not use elevators.
After evacuating a building, do not re-enter until authorized by a Fire Officer. Cessation of the alarm bell does not indicate that a building is safe to re-enter.
All smoke or fumes of undetermined origin must be reported to the local Emergency Services.
Effective: September 2000