Students in Unpaid Work Placements Program
The Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) has outlined a series of mandatory requirements (please see below) that apply to workplace insurance claims for students in unpaid workplace placements.
MTCU provides Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) or CHUBB Insurace coverage for students participating in unpaid work placements (also known as community engaged learning (CEL) or workplace integrated learning (WIL) activities). Coverage through MTCU is for students that are placed by University departments with employers to obtain work skills and experience on unpaid training placements as part of an approved program such as a post-secondary program offered by the University that is funded through MTCU operating grant.
MTCU provides coverage where unpaid workplace placement is part of an ELECTIVE or CORE course.
Some examples of Elective Course Activities include:
- Elective or optional practicum activities
- Courses requiring volunteer hours to earn academic credit
- Senior project courses requiring students to visit a specific workplace site
In order to be eligible for MTCU WSIB or CHUBB coverage the following criteria must be met:
- The placement must be unpaid
- The placement must be part of the course/program requirement
- The placement must be approved by the University and the Placement Employer
- The program/course must be publicly funded
Student Trainees are still considered to be Eligible for Coverage if they receive one or more of the following types of payment:
- Social assistance benefits (e.g., through Ontario Works Program)
- Training allowances
- Reimbursement of expenses
- Stipends or any money paid to the Student Trainee by the University
Students are not eligible for MTCU WSIB or CHUBB if the following applies:
- Students in post-secondary education or training program that are not funded through MTCU operating grants.
- Student trainees in unpaid work placements which have arranged or organized themselves and do not count on earning academic credit for MTCU Covered-Benefits, or CHUBB coverage. Such placements are considered volunteer programs not required by their medical program.
- Student trainees who are paid a salary. A student trainee on a placement who receives payment or wages from the placement employer is a worker and must be provided with WSIB insurance coverage paid for by the placement employer as is any other worker employed by the placement employer.
- University of Guelph student trainees whose work placement is with the University. This includes student trainees who, as part of their program, do unpaid research for the University.
- Student trainees who are in the classroom portion of their training program. Coverage extends only to the work placement portion of the training program. There is no coverage for the in-class portion of training programs.
- Student trainees on placements arranged by Universities or Colleges that are not funded through MTCU. Including student trainees undertaking unpaid placements in Ontario but whose University or College is outside of the province such as exchange students.
- Student trainees of the University who, as part of a formal course or program, attend a training placement with an Ontario placement employer but the placement occurs outside of Ontario.
- International students attending an Ontario publicly assisted post-secondary education institution are not covered should their placement be in their country of primary residence.
Prior to a student going on placement, departments that are arranging unpaid placements must have the participating student and placement organization complete the following forms. The departments must retain all documentation.
- University of Guelph Letter to Placement Employers
- University of Guelph Student Declaration of Understanding
- University of Guelph Pre-Placement Due Diligence Checklist
The above forms are to comply with the requirements of the MTCU Guidelines:
- The requirement of a Student Declaration of Understanding Letter is to inform the student that they have coverage either through MTCU WSIB or CHUBB and to report all workplace injuries or illnesses. This letter must be signed by the student prior to commencing their placement and kept in their file.
- The requirement of a Letter to Placement Employers is to also inform the Placement Employer of the above stated coverage and therefore that their respective WSIB premiums will not be affected. The University must provide this letter to the placement employer. A signed copy must be returned to the University prior to the commencement of the work placement and kept on file.
- The Pre-Placement Due Diligence Checklist or the Employer's equivalent is to be used as a pre placement evaluation for the placement employer to demonstrate the student has received adequate training for health and safety risks in the workplace.
The University is required to report to MTCU the total hours of unpaid work placements by approved program with placement employers that are covered under MTCU CHUBB and the total number of student trainees involved.
To meet this requirement at the end of each term, (January, May and September) departments are required to email the information as indicated on the attached form to Occupational Health and Wellness and they will submit the form to MTCU.
AD&D Insurance Coverage for Placements Not Covered by MTCU WSIB/CUHBB:
The University of Guelph has purchased supplemental insurance. This provides coverage not covered by MTCU.
For additional information on this coverage please contact Dave Hargreaves at ext.52863.
In the Event of an Occupational Illness or Injury to A Student Please Note the Following:
- The student must immediately notify their placement employer and their University placement coordinator/contact.
- The University placement coordinator/contact must complete the Incident Report form in accordance with the University Illness or Injury Incident Reporting Process.
- The University placement coordinator/contact must send the completed incident report form to Occupational Health and Wellness (OHW) by fax at 519-780-1796 or by email within 24 hours of the student reporting the illness or injury to the University.
- The University placement coordinator/contact must request that the Placement Employer complete and sign the MTCU Postsecondary Student Unpaid Work Placement Workplace Insurance Claim form
- The University placement coordinator/contact must complete the top portion of the "Letter of Authorization to Represent Employer" and have the placement employer complete the bottom portion. The completed letter must be sent to Occupational Health and Wellness (OHW) by fax at 519-780-1796 or by email.